Boxing Day Test Match

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamt

Too busy (lazy) to brew.
Reaction score
Well, it's been an exciting day of cricket for cricket's sake; though not from a die-hard Australia fan's point of view. There's been moments of dominance with the bat courtesy of Ponting and some continuance of bad form by Hayden and Hussey. The quality of bowling has been OK, never completely dominant but Steyn, Ntini and Harris showed their quality at various times. There was a major let-off when Ponting was dropped on not much just before lunch; poor old Mackenzie has had a shocker of a tour so far. There's also been some great fielding and great catches, especially the catch that took Symonds.

I think anything less than 400 is a below par score for Australia... mainly due to the inexperience of Siddle and Hauritz in the bowling line-up. I was disappointed that Ricky didn't turn to the part timers during that 4th innings in Perth. I understand Symonds was injured but Clarke bowled but a few overs, and Katich bowls respectable wrist spin (always threatening albeit expensive) and both Hussey and Ponting himself can fire down some seamers. Australia has a good chance to make around 350 with the quality batting of Lee and Johnson, who have been invaluable of late with the bat - Johnson will be a genuine all rounder in years to come.

Before I rant any further I'll cut this off for today. Would love to hear other peoples' opinions on what I've said, and cricket in general.

Cheers
Adam

As I type SA are 8/428 with Duminy on 144 and Steyn on 75.

Have been very impressed with Duminy as a a batsman. Hard to work out who will be dropped when Prince returns. Where has this SA tail come from?

As for the Australian team, we were always going to struggle bowling teams out after the departure of McGrath and Warne. We saw it in Perth where Ponting didn't have the strikepower to take 20 wickets to win a match. We have seen it again in this match. To be honest, I don't mind so much. We've had a very lnog reign at the top. It's time to rebuild and find the right mix to win more matches.

I personally would have given Hilfenhaus a game. I reckon there's no substitute for ball movement. He can swing it where most of our current lineup can only bang it into the deck and get movement. This will be especially important in England where a bloke as slow as Terry Alderman took 40 wickets twice.

Matthew Hayden's career is over. The shot to get out in the first innings was attrocious. He wasn't anywhere near the ball. He has to go and the sooner the better. All the Sydney papers are talking up Phillip Hughes. But surely Chris Rogers deserves a crack before the youngster? This all on the proviso Jaques isn't fit for test cricket yet. I guess the other option is give Hayden the dignity of a farewell match in Sydney and wait for the SA tour for Jaques to make his return to the side.

Michael Clarke, while loose at times has shown enough ticker in dire circumstances to suggest he deserves to be the next captain of Australia.

The spinner is still a worry. It's as though Krezja and Hauritz are the May and Hohns, waiting for another Warne to turn up.

Now it's 9/436 (Siddle has 4 for 75)

It is an appalling effort to let the south african tail wag this much. Shouldve been a big 1st innings lead not a defecit. Great for cricket indeed, but shocking for us die hard aussies...

Bowling them out in the second innings will be a huge issue with Lee going MIA, and Symonds not bowling. Give Hackich a bowl.

It could well peter out to a draw...

2c.

Yep... Duminy looks to be a real talent. Him and Amla... who reminds me of a very tall, skinny dwarf with the bald head and awesome beard. Just listening to the Nine commentary team discussing the lack of aggresive field placement yesterday and I couldn't agree more.

The eating up of the overs before the new ball was badly though out - it not only wasted time and wasn't threatening (especially to the tail enders) but allowed the batsmen to settle in for a long stay.

I think we're gonna see ODI batting today from the Aussies... if the gamble pays off and we don't lose wickets early we could still have a chance. The pitch looks pretty good still. However if we lose early wickets, the middle order/tail are just going to have to grind out a draw and try to level the series in Sydney.

EDUT: Oh yes... and hopefully the selectors will bring in the Wild Thing for Sydney in place of Binger.

We're screwed. Enough said!

Made the effort of watching it all weekend. Come home from a shitty day of work to find we're all out 247. Say goodbye to another series!

Sounds like Dale Steyn (aka Stale...ask Bill Lawry) should get MOTM, another 5 wicket haul.

Disgraceful.

It's time to go:

Hayden
Symonds
Lee
Hauritz

I definitely agree that Hayden, Symonds and Lee should get the flick for poor performance, I think Hauritz has bowled well though. He's a standard "boring" offy, not a Murali or Mendis, whose main job is to contain batsmen. 3/100 off 40ish overs is a great return. Compared to someone like Krejza who is more threatening by turning the ball a lot more, Hauritz' length bowling is miles ahead of Krejza.

Having said that we are struggling to take wickets. So I agree that Hauritz should get the flick and be replaced by a wrist spinner, McGain should be in but he's not available... bring back Beau Casson.

whitewash. SA were paying $7.50 2 days ago too! :(

Lee is limping badly, Watson out for 6 months with back stress fractures.

We are unfortunately seeing the changing of the guard in world cricket power I think...

Lee is gone.
Symonds in injured.
Hayden, as much as we all love him, is just about done.
Spin - Casson was our #1 only a few months ago, who knows what the selectors will do. they shall probably continue with the selection merry-go-round... how about katich as the #2 spinner, leaving room for another medium?

Ive been crook on the couch all week, and the poor aussie efforts, injuries, punters 99, certainly dont make me feel any better... <_<

I keep telling myself its good for cricket, but I do fondly remember the days of mcgrath, warne and gilly...

It's Warne we're missing the most. Since McGrath has left we've had Stuart Clark who is a very similar bowler. Since Gilly has left we've had Haddin, who's taken a while to find his feet but he's doing a great job. To replace Warney though, nothing.

As usual it's harder to get out of the Aus team than it is to get in.

Firstly, sack all the selectors, they've done a shocking job. They've allowed the team to get too old with not enough new blood, and selected 2 or 3 effective cripples in the latest effort.

Secondly, sack half the current team, and start a proper rebuilding excercise, realising we'll not win anything for the next couple of years.

Latest posts

Back