Bottling.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchellw92

Reaction score
I have just put down an 18L batch of stout, which is a first for me, and am wanting to bottle it into 568ml bottles. How much sugar should I put in each bottle to avoid any breakages? As well as a pale ale in 750ml bottles.

Thanks in advance.

I use the Carbonation tool in BeerSmith 2.

What volume do you wish to carbonate to? BS2 suggests between 1.8 and 2.5 volumes for a Dry Stout.

To get to the mid point of this, and for an 18 l batch, you'd need about 85 grams of sugar in total.

Ianh's awesome spread sheet will also calculate dextrose levels for bulk priming and is a great fun thing to play around with. post 514. I can't recommend this enough when you are starting out it, helped me heaps.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking 1.8 or around that so I'll just stick to that.

Given the usual over-carbonation from drops, you could consider using one drop per mid-size bottle. It is a stout; you won't want heaps of fizz.

Personally I bulk prime and get much better results that I ever did with drops and the added bonus of being able to bottle into the random size bottles lying around and still get the right carbonation.

For me, everything I did top make bottling easier wasn't enough to stop the lure of kegging. How easy is that? Drain, pressurise, wait, drink. Even the cleaning is easier.

Latest posts

Back