Bottling from a no chill cube (how much sugar to add?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDan

Reaction score
Currently my process is to ferment in a 20l no chill cube, then transfer this to a bottling bucket and add the required sugar to the bucket to natural carb.

I've just had my first kid so time in a big factor, I'm hoping to try bottling from the same no chill cube to save cleaning up time. My query though is what volume data should I use for how much sugar to add?

For example currently I might have 20l in the cube, and know on average I'll have 1.5L of trub, so will plug 18.5L into Beersmith to work out how much sugar to add to my bottling bucket. If I'm now putting my sugar into the full 20L cube, should I plug 20L into Beersmith?

Also on a side note, currently I boil the sugar in 300ml of water before adding, should I also be adding this volume to beersmith (i.e. 18.8L / 20.3L)?

I dunno about the BS one, but I used to use this one LINKY

best to rack to a different vessel for bulk priming.. but..

use the full volume to calculate. 1.5l isnt going to make the world of difference, dont worry about the 300ml

Probably wouldn't worry about adding the 300mL water to it. I bulk prime as well and don't bother with this.

I don't really use calculators to work out how much sugar to add, I just go by taste preference. Currently I use about 180-190g dextrose in my 25 litre batches (probably about 23-24 litres bottling volume). Works out pretty well. I'll drop it by 30 or 40g for porters etc. but I mostly brew pale ales and lagers. I just use the full volume though, don't account for trub loss.

It would be best to rack to a different vessel though as you won't have to worry about stirring up all the sediment in the bottom by mixing the sugar solution into it.

I cant believe how many people bulk prime in the primary vessell. all that time letting everything settle out then stir it up and bottle. No thanks. The bulk priming vessell takes bugger all to clean anyway. clean that first and use the same solution to clean your primary. Rinse both together. Easy.

It is important that you calculate the priming sugar to the type of beer you have brewed.

I've just had my first kid so time in a big factor, I'm hoping to try bottling from the same no chill cube to save cleaning up time. My query though is what volume data should I use for how much sugar to add? (quote)
The time to rack to a bottling bucket is negligible, the baby will not even notice.

Hmmm ok maybe I'll rack off to a secondary before bottling on this AG, and leave the experiment of bottling from the primary for the next time I dont have time for an AG and just use a kit. Cheers for the suggestions

Latest posts

Back