Bottling Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeCharles

Reaction score
Hey all,

just a quick question, can cider be bottled in wine bottles with a cork?

Have heaps lying around and I have seen the French do it but just wanted to check any experiences you may have had.

Hey all,

just a quick question, can cider be bottled in wine bottles with a cork?

Have heaps lying around and I have seen the French do it but just wanted to check any experiences you may have had.

Also, can I do this with beer?

only if your going to bottle still ie not prime. the bottles cant handle much pressure and run the risk of exploding.
im just about to bottle my mead which will be still in wine bottles.

P.S.
I think the stuff the French bottle is a still cider. Forgotten the name of it.

I would say that the pressure from bottle carbonation would "pop" your corks even at low levels.
Unless you use champagne bottles and the wire ties.

So would you think Cider woudl be a no go in wine bottle with a standard cork?

so all good for champagne bottles then you reckon?

yes - champers bottles are high pressure. However you'll need to get a proper fitting for your capper and use appropriate seals - I wouldn't just push a cork in.

yes - champers bottles are high pressure. However you'll need to get a proper fitting for your capper and use appropriate seals - I wouldn't just push a cork in.

No dramas, I have a corker. Just need some corks, do you know when to buy them from? I know you can get the plastic ones from Brewcraft but I woudl like the cork ones if possible.

ross currently stocks the belgian style corks which you need the cage for. there is a wiki file on here about the use of corks in champagne bottles

Back