Bottling And Cellaring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Ive just bottled myself 29 "stubbies" (or whatever they're called, 330ml bottles) of Goombas APA.

I will keep it in a cupboard in the garage for two weeks, then from what I've read you need to cellar it at 10-15C for a further two weeks.
Is that method still followed? If you don't have anywhere to cellar it at 10-15C will keeping it in the fridge at say 5C be okay or will this lower temperature cause problems.

If you don't store them at the right temperature they are liable to catch fire and melt.

i generally store just at room temperature, which is close to fermentation temp normally for 4 weeks. i find there is a substantial difference in the flavour of my beers between 2 and 4 weeks for ales. The longer you can store it, the better they can get with optimum flavour i believe at about 8 weeks.

if you store too cold and you are bottle conditioning, the yeast will go dormant and you wont get any bubbles, the lower you store the bottles at, the longer carbonation will generally take because of your yeast activity.

good luck man, hope this helps.

i generally store just at room temperature, whichnis close to fermentation temp normally for 4 weeks. i find there is a substantial difference in the flavour of my beers between 2 and 4 weeks in flavour for ales. The longer you can store it, the better they can get with optimum flavour i believe at about 8 weeks.

if you store too cold and you are bottle conditioning, the yeast will go dormant and you wont get any bubbles, themlower you store the bottles at, the longer carbonation will generally take because of your yeast activity.

good luck man, hope this helps.

Ok so you dont need to bother with trying to store at cellars temperatures after two weeks then. Thanks for the advice.

Ok so you dont need to bother with trying to store at cellars temperatures after two weeks then. Thanks for the advice.

that's right, just room temp the whole time will be fine.

I have to disagree with psytramp on storage time. With a hop-driven beer like an APA, I'd just wait a couple of weeks for it to carb up (or less :p ) and then get into it. Hops are good fresh. :chug:

Bottling one or two in PET bottles and keeping them with the glass
bottles will give you a way of checking the carbonation level of the
batch.

T.

I have to disagree with psytramp on storage time. With a hop-driven beer like an APA, I'd just wait a couple of weeks for it to carb up (or less :p ) and then get into it. Hops are good fresh. :chug:

I have to agree with you there too, I cant wait four weeks and drank my first AG from the 2nd to 3rd week. It was only a small batch though. :D

Bottling one or two in PET bottles and keeping them with the glass
bottles will give you a way of checking the carbonation level of the
batch.

T.

Great tip thanks malty will give that a go.

My 2c

You need to leave them at room temp for at least a week if not longer to carb up. In winter it may take upto a couple of weeks at 10-15degC.

After that you can leave the beer to 'condition' either at room temp or in the fridge ala lagering. Time seems to vary based on style, ABV, how many faults are in the original beer, and the desperation/thirst/curiosity of the brewer. I have averaged around 2-3 months before I start drinking most of my beers. Weizens and some hoppy beers seem to be at their best young and snappy. Stronger Belgian styles, big stouts etc may need a year or longer to come good.

Best bet is to wait a couple of weeks and then maybe crack one a week and track the change till it hits the sweet spot. Have alos found most beers benefit from and extended sit in the fridge (1-2 weeks) before drinking.

Stew

Do you beer enthusiasts mean to tell me you have never cracked open a bottle after only 2 or 3 days? :lol:
Well and truly carbed by then in my experience.

Do you scrunch or fold your loo paper when wiping your arse ? Wanna know what you guys think.

scrunch.............doesn't everyone?

scrunch.............doesn't everyone?

I dunno, man. I feel that I need to ask others.

If I cap my beers with red crowns. will it affect the conditioning ?

Magic * Ball says............. "too limited, hit the intern ets"

I dunno, man. I feel that I need to ask others.

If I cap my beers with red crowns. will it affect the conditioning ?

Magic * Ball says............. "too limited, hit the intern ets"

Depends on the style.............Stouts yes............APA's maybe...............Lagers No.

STOUTS !

OH

MY

GOD

Last edited by a moderator:
"there is no such thing as the right to free speech"

WHoa up there, TV pony.

Latest posts

Back