Bottling A Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I put down an ESB 3kg Czech Pilsener kit some time ago. I fermented it at 10-12C for 14 days. I then raised the temperature to 18-20C for 2 days diactyl rest. Then I racked it into a jerrycan and put it in the fridge. Its been there over a month now and I'd like to bottle it soon.

So, what's the best method of bulk-priming then bottling so I don't get bottle bombs or undercarbonated beer? I think I'm basically looking at 2 procedures.

1. Take the jerry can out, let it warm up to room temperature, and then rack and bulk prime based on room temperature (e.g. around 180g dex for 23l).

or

2. Take the jerry can out, rack and bulk prime cold (fridge temp - around 4C).

If I take option 1, I've seen some people comment that this reverses a lot of the effects of lagering. Is this really the case?

If I take option 2, what temperature do I use for bulk priming calculation? Do I use the diactly rest temperature? Or has my beer been slowing adding more C02 during the lagering process so I should use the lagering temperature?

Last year I brewed a few lagers and bottled at 14C with normal bulk-prime calculations for room temperature because I didn't know any better. I had 2 bottles crack (but luckily not explode), and all these beers were way over-carbonated. I'd like to avoid that this time around...

cheers,

Andrei

o personaly find 180 grams of dex to much but i would go around the 120 grms mark as you dont want over carbed beer plus i use promash to work out my priming amounts

A couple of things, Andreic ... by not bringing the brew to ambient temperature, the dissolved CO2 remains - hence bottle bombs when bottle conditioning.

I'd use Option 1 - but with a twist! Rack to another fermenter to get the brew of the trub in the secondary, then raise to ambient temp. Bulk prime and bottle as usual. You'll find this method reduces the chances of "reversing" the lagering effects.

:beer:

Just a thoght, I don't know if there would be enough yeast still active to prime the bottles?????

Regards Blue

Just a thoght, I don't know if there would be enough yeast still active to prime the bottles?????

Regards Blue

Yup you can always add half a sachet of that cooper's yeast or other kit yeast that won't get used otherwise, just stir it in when racking, but don't let it touch the hot sugar priming solution obviously. Using an ale yeast won't affect the flavour for that final fermentation. Might be an idea to add a little bit of gelatin to help the yeast settle to the bottom too (now we are getting complicated!)

Back