Bottles V's Kegs - Why The Difference In Conditioning Time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugo

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance....

I brew into bottles, and not surprisingly my beers improve significantly over time (all ales to date). Drinkable at 3 weeks, far superior at 3 months. From what I gather, most brewers who use kegs seem to suggest much shorter conditioning periods (ie a matter of weeks). What's causing the difference?

... or is it just impatience?

When you add sugar to prime the beer you need to wait for it to clear up again 2+ weeks as the yeasties are doing their thing again

Keggers who force carb can pretty much be drinking straight after kegging or when the beer has gassed up as the beer has already cleared up in the fermenter

Cheers

The other issue, regardless of carbonation method, is volume. Larger volumes are considered to condition more effectively (and therefore quicker) than smaller volumes. I've not seen a fully comprehensive explaination as to why this is so; but I would make an assumption it has to do with the amount of yeast that is in contact with the green beer...that is, not the amount of yeast that is in there per se, but the surface area of the sediment that contacts the beer (and any yeast in suspension, of course) relative to the volume of the beer. So the shape of the vesel will be a factor as well....short and fat, vs tall and thin....

When you add sugar to prime the beer you need to wait for it to clear up again 2+ weeks as the yeasties are doing their thing again

Keggers who force carb can pretty much be drinking straight after kegging or when the beer has gassed up as the beer has already cleared up in the fermenter

Cheers

I was referring more to the change in taste rather than carbonation. It may just be a misconception on my behalf, but it appears that those who bottle seem to let them rest, while those who keg seem to drink the beer much younger.

I was referring more to the change in taste rather than carbonation. It may just be a misconception on my behalf, but it appears that those who bottle seem to let them rest, while those who keg seem to drink the beer much younger.
Have to admit my mate who kegged awhile had beer that tasted pretty green, however didn't get a chance to see what it was like after a while. I just brought my kegs last week and should get the first brew in tomorrow so in a few days I will find out I guess.

Most kit beers taste better after about 6-12 weeks conditioning. This occurs at the correct ferment temp for your yeasts. Even when kegged, they still need this long conditioning phase to be at their peak. Brews that are bottled tend to have longer lead times. Brews that are kegged tend to be consumed quicker due to lack of keg space to allow correct conditioning.

Many AG beers taste best very fresh, within a week of finishing fermenting. The styles that are best when fresh benefit from being kegged as they can be carbonated quickly and consumed at their peak. This is where the expression, "seven days from grain to brain" comes from.

There is alot of confusion between the terms
Primary ferment
secondary ferment
carbonation ferment
conditioning
cold conditioning
crash chilling

Even after there is no active sign of fermentation, yeast is still metabolising by products and changing the flavour profile of your beer. Once you crash chill or filter the yeast out, this no longer happens. Brewers that keg have to chill their kegs to achieve correct carbonation. Once the yeast is chilled, it effectively stops working.

Does anyone who racks from the fermenter to the keg, carbonate and drink within two weeks notice a change in taste over, say, a month later (if it lasts that long)?

My beers taste great at racking, then shit at 2-3 weeks (flavours not blending well) and then beautiful at 4+ weeks. Hence I rack to a keg, carb and leave it for a month.

Excuse my ignorance....

I brew into bottles, and not surprisingly my beers improve significantly over time (all ales to date). Drinkable at 3 weeks, far superior at 3 months. From what I gather, most brewers who use kegs seem to suggest much shorter conditioning periods (ie a matter of weeks). What's causing the difference?

I keg and can drink at 1 week but my beers improve until about 4-5 weeks. If they last that long, its worth the wait. Have never had a keg last longer than 6 weeks so cant tell you if they continue to improve past this. By the way - I have 9L kegs and SWMBO drinks beer too. Justifying my keg in 1-2 weeks statement ;)

Does anyone who racks from the fermenter to the keg, carbonate and drink within two weeks notice a change in taste over, say, a month later (if it lasts that long)?

My beers taste great at racking, then shit at 2-3 weeks (flavours not blending well) and then beautiful at 4+ weeks. Hence I rack to a keg, carb and leave it for a month.

pretty much what I do (see my post above) but I wouldnt say shit at 2-3 weeks :eek:

Many AG beers taste best very fresh, within a week of finishing fermenting. The styles that are best when fresh benefit from being kegged as they can be carbonated quickly and consumed at their peak. This is where the expression, "seven days from grain to brain" comes from.

Is there a general consensus on what styles are better fresh? I do partials (approx 3kg grain/1.5kg LME) and have mainly brewed APA's, IPA's and stouts. All seemed to improve in the bottle over a few months.

pretty much what I do (see my post above) but I wouldnt say shit at 2-3 weeks :eek:

not saying "Shit" as in being undrinkable, just as in worth waiting another fortnight :)

The only shit beers I make are ones that are experiments that go horribly wrong, but even then other people who drink them say they're fine. I guess I'm my own hashest critic?

The way I see it, those who outlay a lot of money for keg systems ABSOLUTELY LOVE BEER. That's why it's drunken earlier. :icon_drunk:

It's easy to drink your kegged beer after forced carbing, not so easy with bottled beer. That same beer, I find, is rather sharp and after four weeks in the keg it tastes a lot smoother. I agree with Butters on the larger volume thing, but never new of a theory why. I think that the bottles need to stand longer so the by products of refermentation can be absorbed and the sharp flavours allowed to smooth out.

I think that the bottles need to stand longer so the by products of refermentation can be absorbed and the sharp flavours allowed to smooth out.

I always thought that as well, untill I primed a couple of kegs instead of using CO2....7 days later, it was carbed, and tasted exactly like the other keg of the same beer (it was a double batch) that had been carbed with co2. Actually if anything, it was slightly better...But I know on the Chimay website, they mention the volume thing when talking about the magnums....

I have a Bock that's been in the keg and drinking slowly over a period on 6 months.

It's definately better now than it was when first kegged but is at the limit of it's life and starting to turn.

However, I had a fresh wort kit APA in the keg that changed from 2 -3 weeks and went down hill from there.

As a general rule the darker the beer the longer it takes to come good and the longer it stays good.

Another test, an English ESB bottled takes about 2 months, kegged takes 3 weeks (Peak Flavour). Same batch , same conditions, temp etc , different vessel.

BOG

The way I see it, those who outlay a lot of money for keg systems ABSOLUTELY LOVE BEER. That's why it's drunken earlier. :icon_drunk:

Yes and no..

I keg now because its easier, convenient and consistent...

And, a Site Sponsor once told me, Beer should be drunk Fresh and if you have to leave it sit for a while, it hasnt been made correctly(within reason of style of course)...

There is a technical reason why carbonation is "generally" quicker in kegs. The job is "generally" done with the keg and contents in a cold fridge. Liquid absorbs CO2 easier when at about 2C compared to room temp. This is why if you drop a bottle of soda and put it in the fridge for 30 mins, it wont fiz-up and spew out when you open it, compared to opening a soda can when hot. Heating carbonated liquid will expell the CO2, so when you open it, it spews-out. (like cold keg beer hitting a hot beer tap - it foams-up until the tap is cold)

I also agree that several weeks of conditioning after keging does produce a smoother beer. The original yeast is still working. I think 3 weeks minimum is good.

again, depends on the beer....

Largers require the extra time at the low temps. For largers I ferment for 4 weeks @10-12deg, cube for 4 weeks, keg+carb and site for 1-2weeks for best results.

All this to be drank in 1-2 weeks?? sometimes not quite worth the time so the quickie to keep the kegs full is coopers pale, BE2 and 2 stubbies of dregs (cpa) with yeast straight into the fermentor. 10 - days then keg, chill force carb and drink immediately. Never goes wrong.

That could explane littlebit something? (that is not my video)
So, my experience tolds me at if you want smoother and not over foam beer, keep it warm place at least a month. And then cool the beer to serve degrees.
If you brew lager, its better store room tempereture all the time. Just before you serve it, cool it down. You can find good information about that exmpl. John J. Palmers book.

Its true if you put your beer to fridge, carbonation dissolve better in to beer. But some reason if you do that too early beer are not so smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back