Bottles for Belgian beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiserben

Reaction score
Are the Leffe Blonde bottles we can buy at Dan Murphy's (currently $70/case delivery only) proper thickness/strength for highly carbed Belgian beer?

I'd assume they are, but wanting to be absolutely sure.

Also, has anyone bottled in PET bottles and been happy with their beer anywhere up to 12 months later?

(my plan is to eventually have enough champagne bottles, but need other options till then)

I think Stan Heironymus said in Brew like a Monk Leffe was carbonated to 4 volumes. So if you stay under that you'll probably be good.
Champagne is about 6 volumes so I'd just go with those bottles and be done with it. Plenty round this time of year.
Please check for yourself though. I'd hate to have you digging shards of glass from your face and hands on my account.

kaiserben said:
(my plan is to eventually have enough champagne bottles, but need other options till then)
Go and raid your local's recycling bin after a christmas function. I got about 40 that way a few years ago. Easy as, and as Dave mentioned, plenty around this time of year.

I really like using champagne bottles ... but don't forget to buy the capper bell && oversized caps.
I like it that you can write a bit extra on the lid :D

... maybe I'm too easily pleased.

Latest posts

Back