Bottle Sterilizing - How Dry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why boil the water? The water is only for cleaning - getting rid of beer residue etc. The starsan does the sanitising. And people say I'm anal... ;)

Why boil the water? The water is only for cleaning - getting rid of beer residue etc. The starsan does the sanitising. And people say I'm anal... ;)

I believe they mean "boiling" water, as in currently 60+ degrees. I quite often just do a final rinse with hot water system temp hot water before a starsan treatment just to know it's removed all the napisan/chlorine/whatever else I've soaked them in stuff ;)

Empty bottles get rinsed then sanitised with starsan (Italian bottle washer thingy lives on kitchen bench - before that it was just a 1 litre garden spray bottle) and allowed to drain upside down until next bottle is sanitised. A bit of alfoil over the top and put away.
On bottling day the foil is removed, another squirt of starsan, drain upside down and start filling pretty much as soon as the 26th bottle is sanitised. Most still have some foam in them at this stage.

Once all are filled and capped they get a quick wash in warm water to clean any sloppage up from the outside.
Never had an infection.

My BIL farts around putting all his in the oven. F%@# that. Electricity is too bloody expensive, and too bloody hot to use the oven like that in the summer.

Pretty much how I do it. I just rinse the bottles clean after use. Just before bottling I give the a hit with starsan in the vinator (Italian bottle washer). Timed it takes me 12 minutes with the vinator and starsan to do 28 tall bottles with no mess. Best thing I've bought. Put them on the bottle tree. When last bottle is done start bottling. I used to use bleach and then boiling water. That used to take me about 1.5 hrs to do the bottles alone.

Back