Bottle sealing with soy wax

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought some soy wax from a candle supply shop for sealing Barley Wine bottles. Does anybody know how impermeable a soy wax seal will be?

Regards
James

I'm pretty sure they don't provide any protection against oxygen. What they do offer protection against is drunken opening of beers that shouldn't be drank drunk.

I've tried strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff, but its just a lot of Puff and nonsense.

Yob said:
Tried bees wax Batz?
Bottle wax Yob, made for the job. The cheese wax works but a lot stays on the bottle and is less than perfect. I used it for a while and was fairly happy with the result but a brewer is never 100% satisfied, as you would know. ;)

BTW I have some leftover blue cheese wax if anyone is interested in giving it a try.
No? You guys are just out there with your experimental brewing stuff. Coopers cans still?

Wax seals are for aesthetic purposes only. They provide no protection against anything other than people trying to open the bottle. Especially at comps.

Latest posts

Back