Bottle Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppadoo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Assessing alternatives to commercial beer bottles and PET;
Thru work I've got access to glass mineral water bottles and was wondering, can they take the pressure?
They are reasonably thick glass (750ml and 1lt) bottles from Santa Vittoria sparkling mineral water.
Any ideas what pressure these suckers would stand up to?
What pressure does a beer bottle need to withstand?
Anyone else getting creative on the bottle side of things?

Cheers,
Chops

I once used some Pelegrino bottles, never again, luckily nobody was hurt.
Stick to beer and champagne bottles just to be safe.

take a couple home, put some brew in them, then stick them in a sealed box and see. sealed box will reduce the aftremath if they cant handle pressure. (by sealed box i just mean en empty cardboard box).

from what ive read on the forum not many non-alcoholic bottles can hold the pressure. if they areally thick they may be ok. I didnt think from memory that pelligrino bottles were all that thick though.

I recently started using asian sauce bottles for my beers and they seem to work well. These came from various, soya, fish and oyster sauces. They're all clear, range from around 640-750mls, have proper crown seals and are a reasonably heavy gauge glass. No problems to report yet. I can't comment too much on your bottles you've got there, but you might wanna access what kind of caps they take. Some water bottles won't take a regular crown seal or pet caps. If you can cap them easily, and if the glass is a heavier gauge than a regular beer bottles they may be okay to use. Some home brewers don't recommend using any bottles that haven't previously been filled with a carbonated product. If these were filled with a sparkling water though that's a good sign.

Yeah all the 1lt bottles have proper crown seals, green tinted glass and contained carbonated mineral water, which was what led me to consider them initially. Probably a good idea to do a test explosives run. I'll prime a couple up and quarantine them. tick...tick...tick... like a lazy molotov
cheers

Personally I think you'd be nuckin futs to try this out. As Vladamir suggests...

"I once used some Pelegrino bottles, never again, luckily nobody was hurt.
Stick to beer and champagne bottles just to be safe."

Champers bottles are great for hacks like me. I dont know if you could actually blow one up without the use of explosives!

Don't forget that Coopers still comes in nice, crown sealable tallies and then you get to enjoy the brew inside before you use them as an added bonus. :chug:

Yes Coopers longies are the best HB bottle around. Contents aren't bad either.

Have been using San Pellegrino 500 ml bottles for about a year now. No explosions, except for the bottle that I dropped (empty) while washing. Not sure that I would trust the 1 L bottles... seem a bit thinner.

we seem to be going through a bucketload of San Pellegrino and have a lot of empties lying around. Except for the green glass, has anyone else used them successfully? As WildaYeast says, I can't see why the 500mL wouldn't be fine to use as they seem to be thick enough.

Adr_0 said:
we seem to be going through a bucketload of San Pellegrino and have a lot of empties lying around. Except for the green glass, has anyone else used them successfully? As WildaYeast says, I can't see why the 500mL wouldn't be fine to use as they seem to be thick enough.
I've used both the 500ml and 1l San pellegrino with no problems. Well, I have had a couple of the 1l ones explode on me, but i think it was more my lazy priming. The main issue with the 1l ones is committing to drinking a litre of beer once its opened.

A lot of (beer) bottles are marked non refillable. The glass may take the pressure in most cases but not guaranteed.
The other issue arises if you use crown seals. The bottle isn't strong enough to take repeated recapping in uncontrolled circumstances. The reason why Cooper's went back to the old spec bottles so home brewer's could reuse them (after buying a cartoon and drinking it).
Stick to Nylon lined PET as the safest option. They are a bit of a rip off in price for what they would cost to make and transport but safe and easy to use. I went down the same path of looking for other cheaper options. Came back to good quality (such as Cooper's) PET.
Green glass does not help deter light strike as well as brown glass. Still haven't come up with an accurate answer as to easily skunking can occur in clear glass stored in a dark box or fridge. The cat's pee (sorry, everyone has their own tastes) you buy in the clear bottles is hopped differently to stop light strike (although I do question how effectively).

I have approx 500 330ml ones that say not for refill. No problems ever! Purchased from home brew store

Latest posts

Back