Bottle Crates - What Kind And Where Do You Get Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those living in Perth, you can get them free from the International Beer Shop in Leederville. They usually have a bunch hanging around from their well packaged international beer deliveries.. They're happy to give them away as they're taking up precious beer selling space.... Most of them only fit <350ml size bottles though...

I was at a garage sale a few weeks ago because they'd advertised some brew stuff. There was a bench capper there for $3. I said 'thats a cheap capper, they sell for $50 you know' and she said "yeah and comes with some bottles as well'. Now i didn't really need anymore bottles after picking up 10 empty cartons of james squire but i asked anyway, and she led me to a cleaned pile of tallies, all in those really old plastic crates that iron mortlock has pictured. I gave her $5 and walked away with 120bottles in those fantastic plastic crates (10 of them!), plus a bench capper that i have already lost and don't need because i already have two of them.
They were her late husbands and she didn't brew. Poor ******* would be spinning in his grave i reckon!

I just nick the council's recycling tub's they work great and there free LOL

I picked 4 of these beauties up the last time I was in Germany. Obviously without the bottles. Love them as they're so easy to stack. I hadn't even thought of it and it was actually SWMBO's idea to take them in our luggage, as she didn't like the random selections of bottles all over the garage.

IMG00920_20100619_1543.jpg

I'm not suggesting anything regarding acquiring these but..

Coles and Wollies now transport fruit and vege in these fantastic black FOLDABLE plastic crates!
Solid as a rock, they stack, and fold down to be only around 1.5cm high when not in use.
They also fit 40 500ml bottles perfectly.

found a link
http://www.viscountplastics.co.nz/news___c...oldable_crates_

I too like the 500ml bottles. Perfectly drinkable size. These crates look good but don't look very stackable with bottles in them.

any recommendations where to look in Melb?
thanks

coles online delivers in them too and occasionally will forget to take them.
That said from SCA you can buy a pair for something like $10 in a range of colours

I like the "slades" type crates. I reckon my old man had a few when I was younger. I should go look in his shed.

Surely there is a market for someone to produce a product? You can buy packs of brand new bottles from LHBS why not a stackable crate to store them in too? Or is it that homebrewers are gerneally too tight to pay for such a thing?

I like the "slades" type crates. I reckon my old man had a few when I was younger. I should go look in his shed.
We got 1/2 dozen of them from the council kerbside cleanup, they're good in that there is a spot for each individual bottle, but blog-standard milk crates are smaller and hold more bottles.

Went around and picked up a dozen from people putting them out for hard runbbish this morning.

heh - I meant the beer crates with the divider in them :icon_chickcheers:
you folks have these in town? cwcrate

beer-case-24-12_front1.jpg

They are corrugated plastic, flat shipped and you assemble. They block light from getting in. Waterproof, super rugged.

you folks have these in town? cwcrate

beer-case-24-12_front1.jpg

They are corrugated plastic, flat shipped and you assemble. They block light from getting in. Waterproof, super rugged.

I haven't been able to find them. I emailed the manufacturer in the US.

Here is the reply:

Dear XXXX
Got your message sorry it took so long to respond we were on a long holiday this past weekend.

Anyway, we would love to be able to sell you the cases however the shipping cost is outrageous.

We have not found an inexpensive way to ship internationally.

Example to ship 8 of the cases to Australia would be around $450.00 U.S. dollars its insane but that is what we are stuck with currently.

Sorry for the bad news!

Cheers,

Phil Chaffee

C&W Crate Company

www.cwcrate.com

Ph. 616-245-2728

He's full of crap. Let me work on this from my end of the pond.

File storage boxes (banker boxes) work also. Just slip 4 6-pack carriers in there. Works nice.

here's another idea. I know it doesn't have dividers.

beercrate3.jpg

Prototype #1. 1.5 cheap as fence palings were harmed in making this crate.
Mycrate1.jpg

A touch flimsy, and although the design would stack I'd prefer the crates to interlock somewhat to make a rock solid stack. I'm thinking make the bits around the outside lower down, sat 1-2cm from bottom, and make a second lot around the outside coming 1-2cm above the top of the crate will interlock nicely but the weight will still be borne mostly by the bottles themselves right through to the bottom which will rest on the floor."Stay tuned...

Back