Bottle Crates - What Kind And Where Do You Get Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 55L blue tub(24 Bottles) that I found at work.... :) i have about 15 of them and use 5 for my beer bottles, 750 mil ginger beer (PET lid).and the rest for storage in the garage. I have also found that the six pack wine carriers from Coles, Wollies ect are good for storage and carting beer to fridge friendly parties and bonus they are free... you just need to ask.

As promised, here're some pics of my Grandfather's beer crates.

p3260010sq2.jpg

They look like the Woodes swap-a-case's that were at petrol stations everywhere up to a few years ago.

I used homeless milk crates that were left out in the cold. They stack and are easy to lift.

I bottle all beer in Fosters/VB/MB/Carlton Draught long necks. Use the cardboard boxes that they come with at the bottlo. Just head up to your local and ask them to hold on to a couple of the boxes for ya. If they cut them cleanly they can even leave the flap on the top so you can keep the light out. Only problem is you must keep them dry otherwise they are as useful as tissue paper.

It looks like I might have to make something. Here are some plans I made up for the world's strongest beer crate. The main pieces are 90X35mm structural pine while the separators are made from 100X11mm pine planks. Based on bunnings prices it should cost about $15-17/crate. It's just a matter of having enough time to make them.

M

Great drawings, what did you make em with?

IRONxMortlock 90X35mm structural is overkill. You're making a bottle box, not a house! ;) Have a look at the old fashioned timber fruit/drink crates. They were made of cheap pine max 1/2' thick & varying heights. find a good timber yard to get better prices on your wood.

I mainly use milk crates as they hold 14 longies nice & snuggly. I like em cause I can fit a brew in 2 of em; they don't fall apart when wet; they aren't too heavy when full; they stack well & are readily available B) . Those plastic divided crates were usually used for soft drink.

cospak sell crates etc - link. you could possibly modify something from them.

Ask your local milkbar or even try the supermarkets...I just asked the owner of the local milkbar and he now puts a couple of milkcrates aside for me. I fit 16 x 640ml bottles perfect.

I could do with a few of these:
http://andrewhammel.typepad.com/german_joy...ulous-self.html

That being said I do actually have 3 bottle crates painted with a german brand which hold 20 bottles (like this: http://www.dwplastics.com/crates01.htm). They are fantastic and have easy carry handles. If anyone knows where to get these legitimately ;) i'd be very interested.

Today i struck gold my friends. Upon picking up an order at some loading docks, i was told that they were not interested in these and either I take them or they dispose of them.
DSCF1747_1.JPG
DSCF1750_1.JPG

Very pleased with my score. they don't hold long necks though, these are designed for 500ml bottles. I bottle predominantly in 330ml stubbies so this suits me perfectly. I'm getting rid of all my milk crates now.

:super:

gallery_4342_192_96146.jpg

gallery_4342_192_108448.jpg

I have about 12 of these to give away.

Pick up is Greendale in Western Sydney. The crates hold 500ml bottles but generally no bigger. 750ml PET bottles don't fit. Stubbies are obviously a really good fit. Holds 20 bottles.

If anyone in Perth is interested in crates suitable for slim (330 mostly) bottles, drop into the International Beer Shop in West Leederville - we have hundreds of them we want to get rid of. Many of your favourite belgian brands to choose from. I work there on Saturday arvos, but if you mention it to anyone else in the store they'll know what you're talking about and be happy to sort you out.

Cheers
Brendan

P.S. Seriously, help us get rid of them!

we have hundreds of them we want to get rid of.

For the sake of those in other states, what kind of stores should we be looking out for to be having the same troubles? Is it a particular brand of beer or distributor that ships in crates?

For the sake of those in other states, what kind of stores should we be looking out for to be having the same troubles? Is it a particular brand of beer or distributor that ships in crates?

I got my stash off a wine & beer distribution centre. My understanding is that they got returned after the beer got sold and the loading dock was left with them. I first saw them in September and I picked up the last of them last week. They were to be destroyed otherwise.

As i said before if anyway wants some of my crates (~12), they are free to a good home. No takers so far tho. :eek:

Yeah! What Mark said! I'd love some but I'm in SA! What are my favourite belgian beers that come in them?
Westmalle?

Yeah! What Mark said! I'd love some but I'm in SA! What are my favourite belgian beers that come in them?
Westmalle?

Yes! I'm sitting on a Boon crate atm. The list is so exhaustive I don't know where to start. My recommendation is to find the best independant beer shop in your state and ask them politely if they have come across any or have any they want to get rid of. Or find the distributor's sticker on your favourite trappist/abbay/artisinal/ecclectic european ale and give them a buzz. You might be doing them a favour... maybe. Avoid widely distributed beers as they generally package in cardboard, or at least for export. G'luck?

All german beers come in these handy plastic crates, at least in Germany. Don't think they ship them overseas. They do them in different sizes, mostly 330ml and 500ml, and different shapes and colours. You actually buy your beer in them in the shops, you pay a deposit for the crate and a small deposit for each individual bottle. Once you're finished you return them and collect your deposit or transfer it straight away to your next crate.
Would love to bring some over on my next trip in April, but unfortunately they are a bit awkward to travel with...
Am really hoping I can pick some up in the Brissy area one day.

Florian

As promised, here're some pics of my Grandfather's beer crates.

p3260009qz8.jpg

Recently found a soft drink distributor that was closing down and throwing out these crates (yellow ones). I went in there wallet in hand intending to pay $5 each. Turns out he was more than happy to swap them for HB, 1 tallie for every 10 crates. I was like a kid at xmas loading them into the back of the ute, and didn't have to hide or do it at night. Now Dad, my brother and I all have enough crates for beer storage.

Must be time to release all those milk crates back into the wild.

Planner

I wish I saw this post 2 years ago :) Could do with a few of these

gallery_4342_192_96146.jpg

gallery_4342_192_108448.jpg

I have about 12 of these to give away.

Pick up is Greendale in Western Sydney. The crates hold 500ml bottles but generally no bigger. 750ml PET bottles don't fit. Stubbies are obviously a really good fit. Holds 20 bottles.

I'm loving the look of these wooden crates, which somebody was advertising on the US homebrewtalk forums.

10794d1258755149-wooden-6-pack-12-pack-24-pack-holders-100_0740.jpg

Here was one of their customer's crates:

SSBWoodBox002.jpg

SSBWoodBox003.jpg

I would really love a set of these for my brewery!

Latest posts

Back