Bottle Conditioned Beers To Culture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out some beers that If wanted people could culture. As I know many breweries filter out the primary strand and add new ones during bottling.

So my question is what beers can we culture?

I've heard the chimay range and cooper's are do-able

Neagle Rock Wheat Beer from the Clare Valley which is produced by Mildura Brewery has a really nice yeast that is easily cultured if you can get it.

Neagle Rock Wheat Beer from the Clare Valley which is produced by Mildura Brewery has a really nice yeast that is easily cultured if you can get it.

I wouldn't culture from that dodgy beer.
The one I had gifted to me was infected and rank.

That was the first link that sprang to my mind, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now, perhaps a bit too outdated to be reliable.

As has been mentioned, coopers ales are an excellent source for good and distinctive yeast. I've also cultured from schneider weisse with good results, but beyond that my yeast culturing experience is limited.

Only thing I've tried reculturing is St Bernardus, as it's said to be the original Westvleteren strain (though many years later), from before they went back to using Westmalle's yeast. Nothing came of it (too old I think), but a new shipment is due in Perth soon so I think i'll give it another go.

Asides from that, the convenience of wyeast's smack packs is too good to pass up.

yer i'm thinking it may just not be worth it as its not worth ruining a good wort with crap yeast when u can make sure its good yeast witha smack pack. trying to decide whether to get a calafornian ale or a british ale now toooo many choices haha

I've got a few beers around atm that im going to try culturing on for the fist time.

got chimay blue
moo brew pale ale (1056)
moo brew hefeweizen (3068 iirc)
and coopers sparkling

I'm pretty sure chimay blue bottle with a different strain than primary dont they?

I've got a few beers around atm that im going to try culturing on for the fist time.

got chimay blue
moo brew pale ale (1056)
moo brew hefeweizen (3068 iirc)
and coopers sparkling

I'm pretty sure chimay blue bottle with a different strain than primary dont they?

moo brew hefe is not made with 3068
they use 3638 (or atleast they used to a couple of years ago)

Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone ever successfully cultured Hoegaarden?

Thats the one PJO,

sorry bout that, feeling a little braindead atm :p

and schooey, you can culture from hoegaarden if you want, but its been filtered and bottled with a different strain than primary, so its kinda pointless. just some bland low floc. lager strain iirc.

Hoegaarden bottle with a different yeast than used for the main fermentation.
If you want a Wit to grow from the bottle try La Trappe wit.

I have had good results culturing from Rochefort and Westmalle.

so moo brew can be cultured???

theoreticly yes :p

i'll report back with how i go though. im in no rush, have a current brew with us-05 and im just going to re-use the yeastcake for the next brew. after that i'll either reculture the pale or the hefe.

A couple of years ago I did & it was good, im sure it was the primary strain. Although I cultured some again recently & it didnt turn out good at all, Im thinking they switched to a bottling strain these days.?

I have a wort fermenting now with the yeast i cultured from that first attempt, if that doesnt come out i'll buy a wyeast or wl wit yeast. I probably should look at doing smaller scale test batches for unknown bottle yeasts.

My 2c ..
when a smack pack costs the same as 2 chimay bottles and contains lovely lively, uncontaminated yeast which you can culture over and over, it seems like a better investment to me.
Of course with a stubby you can have your yeast and drink it too! :)

Oh and ... coopers do not use a different bottling yeast (except for Vintage). Not sure where that furphy came from!

Hi,

I've got a bottle of Morlands Hens Tooth in the fridge, which is bottle conditioned, has a nice layer of yeast on the bottom. Can't find any info on the net as to the yeast used for bottling, has anyone had a go at this? If I can fire it up I would like to give it a go at my next english ale (yet to be scheduled).

Ody

Fullers 1845 (WLP002)
Orval if you are after Brett culture
Sierra Nevada beers for 1056

Most of the Real Ale in a bottle you get in the UK is bottle conditioned with the primary strain.

Back