Bottle carbonation - yeast raft or infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the looks of your bottles on your original post it looks as though perhaps too much oxygen in your bottles and the yeast is still working. 3 things I try to do in every batch I brew. 1. Sanitise. 2. Use high quality yeast. Often discard the yeast that comes with extract kits. 3. Keep the brewing temperature constant.
The yeast that comes with Morgan’s Blue Mountain lager is not a lager yeast but rather an ale yeast so you can brew it at higher temps but in reality a fermentation fridge with a temperature controller should be a priority to give constant great results. I double my yeast when doing lagers but have never found under pitching a problem when brewing ales. Cold crashing works well with both lager and ales and I do a diacetyl rest on both types of brews.

Thanks for this. Yep, I went with the ale yeast on the bottom of the tin instead of the lager yeast that came with the full kit specifically because I had no temperature control. I'm saving it for winter. I will eventually invest in a fridge but I literally have no room for it right now, so I'm making do and having fun doing it.

This beer thankfully has shown no signs of infection - it's matured into a fairly clean beer, with some nice, though subtle, fruity flavors and aromas. There's just a hint of something a bit off remaining, but it reminds me of the aftertaste of a Coopers Pale rather than anything truly off-putting, just not quite what I wanted for the beer. Also no signs of diacetyl.

I've since invested in some higher quality yeasts - my second batch used Kveik and fermented consistently around 30-35 degrees. I've had a couple of bottles and so far they are under carbonated but they've only be bottled a little over a week, and they actually suit under carbonation well... almost like a fruity new world take on an British bitter.

I've got my third beer fermenting now, and while I probably should have spent more time on the basics, after a bit of research I went for a no boil, GF sorghum extract Philly Sour saison (staggered pitch with Belle Saison). Depending on how it turns out I might share the recipe, but so far (mid fermentation) it's tasting surprisingly great. I used some wet towels to protect it on a couple of hotter days, other than that it's been fine where I am, typically 22-24 degrees. Now that the Belle Saison is taking over I'm less concerned about temp.

Back