Bohemian Lager Yeast (Mangrove Jack's M84)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lagering is more to drop proteins and other stuff from the beer to produce clearer beer. For clearing up undesirable by products it is better to keep at fermentation temp so the yeast can convert them to better by products. Once the yeast run out of sugars for food they can get there energy from the undesirable by products.

Goid said:
Lagering is more to drop proteins and other stuff from the beer to produce clearer beer. For clearing up undesirable by products it is better to keep at fermentation temp so the yeast can convert them to better by products. Once the yeast run out of sugars for food they can get there energy from the undesirable by products.
Ok, thanks.

No krausen, no airlock, no condensation. Will rouse the yeast tomorrow and see what happen, keeping the fermenter at 15 degrees.

cheers!

Let cling wrap be your friend.
Airlocks are a hangover from the day when home brewers were the poor cousins of wine makers and used similar equipment.

Cling wrap has the main advantage that you can get a good view of what is going on.
In most cases with a bottom fermenting yeast, even if there is no krausen you can look across the top of the brew and see fizzy pinpoints of gas escaping.

indica86 said:
Lager yeasts are bottom fermenting so that is where they should be.
My lagers always have a small krausen for a few days even at 9 degrees, but that's beside the point. Even if there is no krausen, there should be yeast in suspension, not just sitting at the bottom.

Happy to report that gravity readings, condensation and, finally, some airlock activity, means I am well down the route of making beer. Taste test from the gravity reading came up with no off flavours that my untrained palate could detect. In fact I drank the entire sample, which is a first, and now that I think about it, one of the benefits of fermenting a cold temperatures!

Will lager for three weeks before bottle conditioning.

cheers, and thanks for all the advice.

So after having done three lagers with this, two marzen's and a pilsner. It has a real sort of grapey tart flavour that I was picking up in it. Not a lot of sulfur in the finished product that I could detect.
Honestly it was quite nice, but yeah definite flavour that I can't describe better than a sort of mild grape + tartish sort of flavour.

Just wondering if there any good reviews on this yeast
Saw pic of Fletchers Pils in whats in a glass & has me wanting to use it
What are crew doing for 4.5% to 5% beers 23 litres ?
2pkts rehydrated at 13 degrees ?
Any pressure ferments with this yeast ?
Cheers Rude

Cheers Rude

Rehydrate a bit warmer - fermentis recommend 20-25oC for lager yeast. That's obviously just for the rehydration, not fermentation. And yes, I know that it's an MJ yeast, not Fermentis. But dry yeast is dry yeast

Cheers Rude

overpitch in my opinion. super clean, and fast, ferment. 60-90 seconds of o2 if you can.

incidentally, that pils was made using slurry from my previous lager made with m84. it was a no-chilled beer i had sitting at about 4-5c. i rehydrated 3 packs and pitched at about 8c and let it free rise to ~11c where it stayed for about 2 weeks.

the pils was then pitched with a HEAP of that slurry (about 5 or so times the required pitching rate) and finished within about 5-6 days. never made a cleaner lager.

i don't mind the yeast. it's not my favourite of lager yeasts, but i prefer it over w34/70. i haven't tried s-189 but i'll be doing a similar beer using it and seeing how it fares.

My guess is M84 and S-189 are the same yeast.

I used M84 in a dark Czech lager and it worked really well. It allowed the malt to come through really well. I used a 2L active starter and O2.

Rehydrate a bit warmer - fermentis recommend 20-25oC for lager yeast. That's obviously just for the rehydration, not fermentation. And yes, I know that it's an MJ yeast, not Fermentis. But dry yeast is dry yeast

No worries goat
I new rehydrate at higher temp but was asking about ferment temp my bad
Looked around a bit will go for 3 pkts for say a 4.5% first then pitch a 5% wort on top of the slurry
No o2 though :( so will try to ferment at the top end of the scale recomendations for the first one
Sounds like the s189 fermentis is the same yeast so might go with either one depending on LHBS availability

No o2 though :(

Get yourself a metal paint stirrer from the big green shed and stick it in to end of a drill. Doesn't get as much O2 in to solution as pure O2 injection/diffusion stone, but it's much, much better than just shaking the fermenter/pouring back and forth a few times.

no worries
I no chill so pour in from height
Will get an o2 kit next year though as it has to be the way

no worries
I no chill so pour in from height
Will get an o2 kit next year though as it has to be the way

As I said, the paint stirrer gets much more O2 in than just pouring from a height (which is actually a piss poor excuse for oxygenation), and is much cheaper than an O2 kit - it'll get in enough O2 for all but the biggest beers

Back