Bock's Back Baby! ! !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMyers

Reaction score
Well this morning I mentioned in the topic regarding 3kg E.S.B. kits, that I couldn't wait for the E.S.B. 15 litre bock wort kits to come back in season. Well I just found out they will begin to hit the stores this coming week, if not this afternoon! !

Some of you might have read my postings late last year regarding the bock, and let me reiterate: It is bloody fantastic. The best bock kit on the market, with no exceptions. In fact the only thing that comes close is another E.S.B. product, the 3kg Bavarian Bock. If you get your hands on one of these, treat it like you would the stout and add NO water - just a simple 15 litre brew - and you wont be dissapointed.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Pete,

Have you tried it with the WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager yeast?
That sounds like a great experiment.

Cheers,
Doc

Doc said:
Pete,

Have you tried it with the WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager yeast?
That sounds like a great experiment.

Cheers,
Doc
I made some last year using that same yeast. White Labs say it brings out the maltiness, which is what you want for a bock. Fermented it at 11C and kegged it, leaving it to age for a few months. Unfortunately when I went to tap it I found that the pressure relief valve had gone bung (busted seal) and something or other had entered the keg and infected it. :angry: Bloody waste of what I am certain would have been damn fine beer. Now at least I can try again, except I have no WLP920 left so I will have to try it with a different yeast.

Cheers,
Pete

Pete,

is Bock usually a lager? If so, do you reckon it might go well with the Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast (I have some of this left)?

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
Pete,

is Bock usually a lager? If so, do you reckon it might go well with the Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast (I have some of this left)?

Cheers - Snow
Bock *is* a dark lager :)

Your yeast is more a pilsner yeast, but I'd give it a go anyway if you want to save a bit of dosh :) Sure it'll still taste great

I'm a newcomer to lagers and am thinking of brewing a dark lager - I love those dark grain flavours. As an introduction, maybe I might pick up a bock wort with my next sack of grain.

cheers
reg

Just after I invest in Munich malt, Caramunich, Crystal and Pale Chocolate malt, a fresh wort comes on the market. I guess I'll have something to compare it to :)

I had planned to make a doppel bock tho.....

PostModern said:
I had planned to make a doppel bock tho.....
Easily fixed. Boil 5 litres of the wort kit with another 2 kg of malt and some extra hops, then add this to the remaining 10 litres you should have a dopplebock. Never tried this myself though, it's just a suggestion.

Of course, if it works I will humbly accept all praise :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Pete

Back