Bock Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theMISSIONARY

Reaction score
Gday all

I have a "black rock" Bock tin of goo to use but the yeast is gone so what should i use my local home brew shop has SAF yeasts anyone want to drop me any idea's

Temps are around 8-14 without any heating

Bock as in (possibly dark) lager?

Use the saflager and ferment low. Those temps sound perfect.

I haven't made a bock with s-23 so i couldn't say for sure. I've used it in a lager and a pilsner and had no major issues with either.

Reading the description sugests it's a genuine german lager yeast and that it can produce fruity esters which in my limited experience of bocks is not out of place.

If you want to get more specific with yeast types you may need to look at liquid but I'd be happy trying a bock kit with 23. Otherwise try buying a bottle or two of aventinus and re-culturing the yeast from that. I don't know whether it's a lager yeast but seeing as how the yeast is such a major part of the flavour I would hazard a guess that using the same strain is integral in much the same way trappists stick with the one.

You could go liquid and get some WLP833... otherwise dry W34/70 should do pretty good on a Bock. S-189 might be another choice.

Make sure you pitch 2 packets and ferment cold - if you don't have the ability to lager then do it with US05 and ferment around 16-18C which should turn out fairly "lager like" anyway

i'll see if i can get W34/70 i dont think the local shop has liquid yeast(never used one) Lagering should be no problem......hell its been cold here i was waiting for the bank to open it was only 5.5 so keeping things cool will be easy for the next three months or so

Back