Blow Off On Conical Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozhopper

Reaction score
I have a conical fermenter. I have replaced the air lock with a blow off tube into a bottle with sterilised water.
When I take a sample from the side valve, it obviously draws out beer and creates a vacuum which raises water into the blow off tube from the bottle.
Usually when I have done this with a carboy and water has raised into the tube, I would raise the tube slightly out of the water and the water in the tube would drop back down into the bottle.
ISSUE: when I do this with a conical, the water keeps rising and ends up in my fermenter!!!
I cannot understand why this happens. Some thoughts have been that the tube is narrower than my previous blow off tubes. I have tried raising and lowering the bottle but no matter what position the water goes back into the fermenter.
Any ideas?

1. Remove the tube from the water when you take a sample.

OR

2. Put a one-way valve on the tube - air gets out, water can't get it.

Have you tried temporarily removing the blow off tube from out of the water when taking a sample?

1. Remove the tube from the water when you take a sample.

OR

2. Put a one-way valve on the tube - air gets out, water can't get it.

If I remove the tube then I risk oxidization. Not an issue when fermenting but when crash chilling to condition it could be.

Have considered a one way valve but will I be able to draw liquid if it will not allow fluid or oxygen up the blow off then the pressure will remain and the liquid won't flow out of the tap?

You need to displace the liquid with something. If you're that paranoid about oxidisation, add a CO2 post at the top, so you can maintain a positive head pressure. Will solve your suction and oxidisation problems

Back