Bloody Murphy's Law

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlow_coates

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

My temp control in the form of 'Grow Warm' arrived in the mail tuesday.

I have tested it over the last 2 days with thermometer, and the fridge has sat nicely at 18 degrees.

So..... Brewed up my all extract wheat beer this morning, and have had it sitting in the fridge (set low to cool) for about an hour.

I just went down, wort temp is right at 18 degrees, so pitched the yeast starter, then turned the gauge on the Grow Warm back up to 18, and the fridge stopped.

I sort of expected this with a change of the gauge, but then I got suspiscious and turned it low again to check, and the fridge didn't turn back on :huh:

Thought is may just be the probe, so stuck it under my armpit and waited......no fridge activity.

So I bypassed the grow warm and just plugged the fridge in, and the bloody thing isn't working :(

The light is still working, but the sound of a working fridge is just not there. Bugger.

Does anyone know if this will sometimes just happen and the fridge will start again in time???
Is it stuffed?
Why did my fridge that has worked like a pack horse for 20 years just shit itself?

Extra pissed because it is also my serving fridge, with celli tap and shank with a home made bracket, in the door, and gas line into the side.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Marlow

Well there's your answer "worked like a pack horse for 20 years ". :icon_cheers:

Seriously it's 20 years old and they pack it in :( . I would get a fridgy out to look at it but I suspect that the repair bill might cover more than cover the purchase of a new secondhand fridge?

Cheers

Chappo

I had a massive run of bad luck, got three 2nd hand fridges and when I got them home, lasted a day and shat themselves <_<

I bit the bullet and just went and bought a new chest freezer on special, probably saved in fridge removal costs over the years :lol:

Cheers Chappo, I figured the bill would suck and just searched for second hand fridges online.

Then I went downstairs to check on the old girl and she is chugging away again like a trooper :icon_cheers:

I suppose it had something to do with the quick change in temps.

Anyway I take back my curse at Murphy, and withdraw my questions.....till next time :icon_chickcheers:

Marlow

Even though it's an oldie does it have some sort of auto frost cycle? My cold conditioning fridge is 14 years old and goes to sleep regularly while it cleans off the plates in the fridge section then comes back on again. However it does it at odd times and sometimes it seems like it's died. If so I would suggest that it's probably a case of you suddenly watching your fridge with eagle eyes whereas for the last 19.5 years youv'e just left it to do its thing :lol:

Cheers Chappo, I figured the bill would suck and just searched for second hand fridges online.

Then I went downstairs to check on the old girl and she is chugging away again like a trooper :icon_cheers:

I suppose it had something to do with the quick change in temps.

Anyway I take back my curse at Murphy, and withdraw my questions.....till next time :icon_chickcheers:

Marlow

WooHoo! MC good news! :icon_chickcheers:

Maybe the temp thingo was the culprit? There was a thread here last week where a chesty was playing up. PM Supra-Jim I'm sure he had some explaination/work around for this problem.

Edit: +1 BribieG that was it the frost free cycle!

yeah I paid $220 for an old chest freezer than lasted about a year... I really shouldve just forked out and got a newby. As a matter of fact I nearly forked out $$ again for more shitty second hand fridges, I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a newby.

Back