Bling India Pale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes please to the recipe, I've been asked to do beers for my sister's wedding, and her fiancee loves bling bling

Here's the one I made using my 1V full mash brewery. A few comments:
  • When I brew it again I will likely drop the pale malt(I had some to get rid of) and replace with MO and up either the crystal or melanoidin a bit to get the colour a fraction closer.
  • I suspect they vary the recipe a bit as it was suggested to add cirta, mosaic or Amarillo to my original proposed recipe. I tried mosaic because it's awesome however I can taste a bit of Amarillo in the real thing and citra was impossible to get hold of.
  • The whirlpool hop addition times and temps are critical in the real deal. They use next to no 60 min hops and put all in the whirlpool for 5 minutes before transferring out so it's a bit difficult to scale this to home brew size as its anyone's guess how long the WP hops are in contact with the hot wort since it depends on wort volume and brewery cooling rate. I have chosen 10 mins in beersmith to estimate the IBU's but think this is conservative. Its more than 60 IBU in the keg. This is how they get so much flavour in the beer. Every time I sent a proposed recipe the comment came back to reduce boil additions and instead add increased amounts to the WP to get the same IBU's. Next time I will reduce the 60 min magnum to 20 IBU and up the whirlpool hops a bit. I have translated all their comments into my whirlpool profile of 5 mins 100 degrees - 10 mins 80 degrees stand.
  • Not likely to work as a no chill since there is a shit load of hops in the whirlpool. Even an extra few minutes at elevated temps is likely to have a big impact on the IBU's extracted. On future brews I will be playing around with the whirlpool time/temperature profile a bit more but I was being steered away from high temps to reduce bitterness.
  • Might need keg hops as well. Aroma has faded quickly(4 weeks) but the malt has rounded out nicely.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Batch 31 - Bling Bling IIPA Clone
Brewer: Braden
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.08 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 24.00 l
Bottling Volume: 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG

Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated ABV: 8.5%
Estimated Color: 25.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 60.0 IBUs - Don't be fooled, the intense whirlpool hoping creates more than this.
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
6.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 mins)
4.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)

5.97 kg Maris Otter (Simpsons) (5.9 EBC) Grain 70.0 %
1.19 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe W Grain 14.0 %
0.85 kg Melanoidin (BestMälz) (70.0 EBC) Grain 10.0 %
0.51 kg Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (88.7 Grain 6.0 %

21.72 g Hallertau Magnum 2015 [13.80 %] @60 25.0 IBUs

127.21 g Cascade 2015 [6.50 %] Steep/WP @0 10.0 IBUs
89.88 g East Kent Goldings 2013 [4.6%] Steep/WP @0 5.0 IBUs
71.28 g Mosaic 2015 [11.60 %] Steep/WP @0 10.0 IBUs
62.64 g Simcoe 2015 [13.20 %] Steep/WP @0 10.0 IBUs

Dry Hop 3 days 3g/L each of the following
75.00 g Cascade 2015 [6.50 %] - Dry Hop 3 days 0.0 IBUs
75.00 g Centennial 2015 [9.30 %] - Dry Hop 3 days 0.0 IBUs
75.00 g Simcoe 2015 [13.20 %] - Dry Hop 3 days 0.0 IBUs

2 packs US05 fermented @19 Degree

Mash Schedule: 64C for 90 minutes 78C mashout 10 minutes

Notes:
------
The original is 8.5% and FG 1.012 as measured using a hydro.

Whirlpool process is critical to this brew.
Immediately after flame out add the whirlpool hops and whirlpool for 5 minutes with no cooling on(temp drops to approx 96 degrees by the end of the 5 minutes).
After 5 minutes turn on cooling jacket and continue whirlpool. Cool to 80 degrees as fast as possible(2 minutes in this case) and hold there for 10 minutes for the whirlpool/hopstand.
After the 10 minute stand @ 80 degrees C turn cooling back on and cool to pitching temp. In this case it took 1 hr 10 mins to reach 19 degrees C still with all the hops in the kettle.
Aerate using pond pump for 15 minutes.

Transfer to fermenter and add 2 packs of US05
Fermented @19
Added dry hops after 7 days(FG reached) and leave for 3 days at 19 degrees
Drop temp to 10 degrees for 2 days and then into keg.

Used 10min steep in the IBU calculator to estimate the whirlpool IBU's. Actual IBU's are higher than predicted.
Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20160910_195022.jpg

Working backwards and noting the thread title, to make the Bling I'm guessing all ingredients are halved (taking into account efficiency differences with the lower OG)? I recall reading that Little Bling has half the ingredients of Bling and Bling Bling double.

TheWiggman said:
Working backwards and noting the thread title, to make the Bling I'm guessing all ingredients are halved (taking into account efficiency differences with the lower OG)? I recall reading that Little Bling has half the ingredients of Bling and Bling Bling double.
I'm pretty sure ingredients are the same but the % varies.
Bling is 5.8% ABV so I would scale down accordingly

Has anybody given @husky's recipe a crack?

I'm looking at brewing a Bling (not Bling Bling) clone pretty soon and wondering if this recipe is close to the Bling Bling? There is no real mention if it is a good clone or not.
I've also been reading up on Melanoidin malt and everywhere seems to be saying that around 3-5% in a recipe is heaps.
But I'm guessing that the dark red color in the Bling's comes mainly from the Melanoidin?

Thoughts anyone....

Hey mate, I haven't brewed this for a while but when I did the colour was spot on but the hops needed a slight shift towards Aussie varieties to match the original. Recent samples of Bling I cant detect anything American. The process is the highlight for me, clean bittering hop and then plenty in the WP. On the malt side, the last feedback I had from Ben at Bridge Road was to sub 10% of the base malt for carared. I haven't tried this as yet but will be come summer time.

Latest posts

Back