Blichmann RIMS Rocket and BoilCoil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I saw that. Looks like I have to get a 15a socket anyway, as my HLT is 3600w.

How are the ramp times? i'd imagine with 3000w they'd be pretty good.

pat_00 said:
Yeah I saw that. Looks like I have to get a 15a socket anyway, as my HLT is 3600w.

If you want to run them both at the same time you'll need 2 X 15A circuits.
I have a rocket but run a normal RIMS tube with a 3600W element on a double batch system, could easily do a quad with it I reckon, 3000W will be fine.With the RIMS ramp times aren't really much of a consideration as it's such a small volume you are heating, it doesn't matter if the mash lags a little, conversion is happening in the tube.

pat_00 said:

What seamad said. Due to the small volume of the RIMS Rocket (I think about 4L) and decent recirculation flow the thing ramps up super quick. Far quicker than you'd get with a HERMS system. You do have to be mindful of your mash thickness to get decent recirculation without stratification but you'll have those issues with any system that involves recirculation.

I know this is gone over in different threads but as a novice when it comes to power requirements etc I thought I'd ask just a straight question that I've been trying to understand over the past month as I'm wanting to convert my 2 tier single infusion system to either HERMS or RIMS.
I'm leaning towards RIMS. Thereforer, can I set up a RIMS stick with say a 2200w element and a 2200w element in my HLT and my kettle; and have 2 elements and 2 pumps run at the same time? As in will a normal household in Sydney be able to supply the required power without me getting a sparky in to change anything in my fuse box etc?
Apologies in advance if this is a silly question I'm just struggling wrap my ahead around power requirements and not blowing my fuse box.

A standard 15A outlet won't run two 2200W elements. You can, however, run your RIMS element at a lower voltage using a voltage controller. I do this and am able to maintain mash temp using the RIMS element at half voltage while on the same outlet running my HLT element to heat sparge water.

Latest posts

Back