Blichmann RIMS Rocket and BoilCoil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the look of them. Anything over the 10 gallon 240 boil coil and you'd probably need a sparky to come in and set it up. I wonder what sort of times the coils can perform at?

The hop rocket rims is a great idea, and of course you still have a hop rocket, works very well with my BM. (I don't use a plate chiller anymore).

Batz

BM 003.JPG

Always absolute bling from that mob. Love it.

For a minute I thought it was a Herm-it coil bunged into a Hop-Rocket and was waiting for Nev's lawyers to chime in.

Quit showing off Batz! That's a neat setup. I take it the urn's for sparging?

Camo6 said:
Always absolute bling from that mob. Love it.

For a minute I thought it was a Herm-it coil bunged into a Hop-Rocket and was waiting for Nev's lawyers to chime in.

Quit showing off Batz! That's a neat setup. I take it the urn's for sparging?

Yes mate urn for sparging, and here's my old 3v system with herms.
I built that and brewed on it for around 8 years. Then moved to the braumeister for all the reasons only braumeister owners know.

Batz

aa mysetup 11.jpg

Batz said:
moved to the braumeister for all the reasons only braumeister owners know.

Batz
The desire to cop shit from people who haven't brewed on one?

Batz said:
Yes mate urn for sparging, and here's my old 3v system with herms.
I built that and brewed on it for around 8 years. Then moved to the braumeister for all the reasons only braumeister owners know.

Batz
You know what you really need? Some nice taps to pour the produce from. Bet you don't have a pic of that... :ph34r:

Batz said:
The hop rocket rims is a great idea, and of course you still have a hop rocket, works very well with my BM. (I don't use a plate chiller anymore).

Batz
do you use pellets in the hop rocket?

MetalRooster said:
I'm a braumeister man myself, but like this concept... using the Hop Rocket interchangeably as RIMS.

And also BoilCoil.

Both relatively new blichmann products..

Gotta love Blichmann's passion for brewing and the engineering work that goes into his products.
Phuark, if I had access to more power I would be running that RIMS inline with my herms HEX. I already have a hoprocket, just need a 15a circuit.

Batz said:

Batz
Batz, what do you use in place of the plate chiller and why did you change?

I've gone to full circle and returned to a immersion chiller. I don't believe it is possible to clean a plate chiller thoroughly, the distance between the plates is only 1mm (about the thickness of a credit card). Your wort going up and down between 30 plates, don't tell me a few bits of trub, hops or grain are not going to lodge in there somewhere.

Yes you can sanitize it well, but one day a bit of that stuff will cause an infection IMO. I know a brewer who had the occasional infection after years of trouble free brewing, he replaced fermenters etc. In the end we tracked it to the only thing he had changed, a plate chiller.

My opinion only here, I'm sure many use them without such problems.

Batz

Just a thought.

If you've seen the mortar shell ... Err... Hermit xss thingy nrv is selling, you could convert that into a rims tube with little effort too...

THIS bit of kit is a very well thought out thing by blitchman however.

This RIMS rocket just came to my attention. I was thinking of getting a hop rocket and a herm-it for my setup, but this looks like a great all-in-one solution. Has anybody on here used one?

pat_00 said:
This RIMS rocket just came to my attention. I was thinking of getting a hop rocket and a herm-it for my setup, but this looks like a great all-in-one solution. Has anybody on here used one?
Yeah we got one and modified the electric brewery's setup so that it essentially works with a RIMS setup as opposed to a HERMS configuration. We're also using it with the new Blichmann boil coil in the boil kettle. We're obviously just using the RIMS rocket for recirculation in the MLT. Works great, we've got 3 or 4 brews done on this new rig to date.

One thing to keep in mind is that the RIMS draws around 12amps so if you don't already have a 15A+ power supply available in your home (which are typically 10A) you'll need to factor that into your costs. As the Boil Coil draws around 20A we opted to upgrade to a dedicated 32A power supply.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

IMG_2178.JPG

Back