Blichmann auto sparge issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcqypcqy

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my auto sparge.

It seems to take a while to get the grain bed to set, so it feels like when I'm recirculating that I'm gouging the hell out of the top of my grain bed and possibly channeling down the sides. Efficiencies have been lower than expected, and I think this might be the cause.

I am using a ball valve to throttle the flow rate of wort into the auto sparge.

Previously I thought it was due to insufficient height of water over my grain bed, but I rebrewed a recipe over the weekend with extra water and less grain for this exact reason, and it didn't fix the problem.

Anyone got any tips?

I give my mash bed 5 mins to settle and I've also changed the ball float and hose in favour of the brewtech return manifold. Only brewed once with the new setup but hit all my numbers compared to using the hose and float.
I suspend the manifold with hooks made from SS welding rod.
Will try and find pics later.

Camo6 said:
I give my mash bed 5 mins to settle and I've also changed the ball float and hose in favour of the brewtech return manifold. Only brewed once with the new setup but hit all my numbers compared to using the hose and float.
I suspend the manifold with hooks made from SS welding rod.
Will try and find pics later.
I've been thinking of this too, keeping the float portion of it to control the flow, but relying on another method to get the recirculated wort or sparge water gently onto the top.

20161212_141916 (1280x960).jpg

You can't see much from the pic but you can get the idea. I used the float arm during the mash to help support the manifold but probably not really necessary. I could just let the manifold sit in/on the mash bed but I like to be in control.

Latest posts

Back