Blending Of Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I think I may have gotten a little carried away with the Galaxy last brew

Its about a month in the keg and the bitterness is just WAAAYYY too much to be enjoyable I just dont think this one is going to mellow out.

Is blending possible? Ie if I do another brew of the same ilk, another sparkling ale, but dont hop it at all, is it a feasible option to blend the two kegs together in a hope to halve the bitterness??

I realise there may be some infection risks in the transfer/blend process but Im confident in my hygiene standards.

Ideas?

Its about a month in the keg and the bitterness is just WAAAYYY too much to be enjoyable I just dont think this one is going to mellow out.

Is blending possible? Ie if I do another brew of the same ilk, another sparkling ale, but dont hop it at all, is it a feasible option to blend the two kegs together in a hope to halve the bitterness??

I realise there may be some infection risks in the transfer/blend process but Im confident in my hygiene standards.

Ideas?

Yes.

Maybe skip the buttering additions but still add flavor and aroma?

Absolutely a good method. Commercial brewers do this all the time to achieve consistency between batches.

Ensure sanitation and purge your kegs well, and brew your adjustment beer, perhaps just add aroma hops.

skip the buttering additions

Haha, I thought you were making an obtuse joke about margarine blends or something, but it turns out you were just making a joka about Kiwi brewers.

Haha, I thought you were making an obtuse joke about margarine blends or something, but it turns out you were just making a joka about Kiwi brewers.

giggle

iPhone strikes again

so i've grown to love the "Stupid Bitter" as it's been named...

one mate calls it a "punch in the face, imploding head" beer...

but back on the track of blending.

I had a Choc Oatmeal Stout that hard a really harsh burnt flavour going on.. made a really bland ale (dare i say out of homebrand tins) and now i've blended the 2 kegs..

essentially it's a premix black'n'tan. It now tastes awesome..

happy brewer here.

It's about a month in the keg and the bitterness is just WAAAYYY too much to be enjoyable I just don't think this one is going to mellow out.

Is blending possible? Ie if I do another brew of the same ilk, another sparkling ale, but don't hop it at all, is it a feasible option to blend the two kegs together in a hope to halve the bitterness??

I realise there may be some infection risks in the transfer/blend process but I'm confident in my hygiene standards.

Ideas?
No dramas, I usually runa Mongrel keg that has left overs from the full kegs, and I store it and top it up with other left overs...as long as you sanitise, and watch for oxidisation you will be right to blend kegs to achieve a more mellow bitterness, or to just experiment.

so i'm posting in here as proof that i searched

everything stated by the OP is still relevant - too much galax, too weeks in the seconds, too much beers at wort creation time, and fkd the additions too!

now i have a keg of this 10^8IBU monstrosity that i think will need blending. i just transferred it and put it on the gas - it hasn't carbed up yet, but a taste from the syphon hose reminded me of licking the sticky dribbles of coopers tins way back when

do i just knock up a sickly sweet batch of 4IBU 'beer' to blend with later?

if you have a lager or a low bittered beer you can mix it with that. I wouldnt brew a sickly sweet beer as if you end up with 1/4 a keg of that left then you will have to brew another beer to blend with it then that will have 1/2 left and you will have to brew another beer to blend with that till you get sick of blending and tip it in the sink lol

If you got beers on tap try blending them with different ratios to test what its like you may have a beer on tap that will blend well with it. Other then that its guess work to what to blend. I would say something with just bittering and not to high like a lager.

if you have a lager or a low bittered beer you can mix it with that. I wouldnt brew a sickly sweet beer as if you end up with 1/4 a keg of that left then you will have to brew another beer to blend with it then that will have 1/2 left and you will have to brew another beer to blend with that till you get sick of blending and tip it in the sink lol

If you got beers on tap try blending them with different ratios to test what its like you may have a beer on tap that will blend well with it. Other then that its guess work to what to blend. I would say something with just bittering and not to high like a lager.

no lagers, no other beers on tap (besides my far too bitter atm kolsch), and worst of all theres 2 more cubes to go :(

Latest posts

Back