Bleaching Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko ACT

Reaction score
Hello Brewers

I purchased three 60L fermenters that previously stored non-toxic printers varnish. I gave them a soak for two days with 1 cup of White King bleach. Perhaps I’m paranoid, but I could swear my beer had a strange smell/taste. One I threw out (too adventurous, too early with my AG) and the other I am aging (after sampling). The fermenter currently omits a sweet, plastic like smell.

Like most things in the world of brewing, I have heard a myriad of advice about how much bleach to use and how long I should soak them. Can someone please clear the air, or start the debate as to how much and how long you should bleach fermenters…

Also… Whilst on a similar topic, I was given a bottle of Oxonia Active concentrate. Does anyone know the dilution ratio for this sanitiser and how long it will store (and still be effective) once diluted.

Cheers

Dicko

The last thread i read on this topic said a day in the hot sun will clear it up. It worked for me with my Bunnings fermenter

If the smell is, in fact, the plastic, and not a residue of what was in there previously, leaving them in the sun will work. Basically, the plastic smell is the plasticisers, and UV degrades plastic, causing the chemicals to leech out, and (over extended time) the plastic becomes brittle. Leaving it out in the sun for a few days will leech the excess out, then you wash it well with your cleaner of choice, and all should be well.

As said, though, that is assuming it is the plastic, and not the prior contents.

If the smell is, in fact, the plastic, and not a residue of what was in there previously, leaving them in the sun will work. Basically, the plastic smell is the plasticisers, and UV degrades plastic, causing the chemicals to leech out, and (over extended time) the plastic becomes brittle. Leaving it out in the sun for a few days will leech the excess out, then you wash it well with your cleaner of choice, and all should be well.

As said, though, that is assuming it is the plastic, and not the prior contents.

Thanks for the advice flattop and buttersd70...

But lets just pretend I just bought the fermenters and was deciding how to clean them. How much bleach and how long do I bleach them for?

If you've chucked out a batch of beer because of a stinky fermenter you've already done the cost of a new plastic drum. Seriously, how non-toxic can printers varnish be? Buy a new fermenter FFS.

As you did it, 1 cup, then filled, left overnight, should be ample....but given that it had varnish in it....who knows what that chemical is and how well impregnated into the plastic it is. It could be like trying to get the smell of onion and garlic out of a tupperware container....

Im with Goathearder, I have a degree in chemistry and work in the water industry. I wouldn't be using a container that paint was in. Plastic is porous and therefore can retain smell, flavours and colour. Some of the drums previous content may be retained in the plastic even after the best of cleaning and infiltrate your precious brew. If you have to use recycled drums try to get some drums that had a water soluble eatable ingredient, something that doesn't have a strong smell or flavour otherwise buy some new ones.

All the best

Im no expert by any means. I dont know chemistry or anything like that. One thing I do have though is a lot of experience. Let me just say this - I wont brew in anything that has a smell of chemicals. I use very little chemicals to clean with and I always rinse with boiling hot water. Smell the fermenter when you are about to fill it. If it does not smell like just normal air - dont do it. I dont know how plastic works but I am utterly convinced that it absorbs things and this is not good for your beer.

Buy a new fermenter. Use a little sodium metabisulphite and boiling water. I have done about 350 brews. I have had to throw out 3 of them. Thia is less then 1%.

Always remeber (most brewers would kill me for saying this) - They made beer literally thousands of years ago in anything that could hold a liquid. Look what it evolved into. Go easy on the chemicals and use hot water - it works.

Good luck!

Ive got some of those 60lt drums that once contained what was described as "non-toxic" printers varnish. I tried bleach soak, percarbonate soak, outdoor airing. They still had that smell & its the kind of smell that once you smell it, it gets in my head & can smell it for ages.

Anyway I wasnt adventurous enough to ferment in them but they have made good grain storage drums.

Also Whilst on a similar topic, I was given a bottle of Oxonia Active concentrate. Does anyone know the dilution ratio for this sanitiser and how long it will store (and still be effective) once diluted.

Dicko,

Be careful with this stuff, it's not the kindest stuff in the world to use if you get it on your hands, but it's a fantastic sanitizer.

Use 2-3ml / L, yes it is that concentrated. Keep it out of the light!

Diluted and in the dark, it should be ok for up to a week, but as it is so concentrated, just make up what you need.

The concentrated Oxonia should last over a year, I tested our 11 month old stuff last week and it was still at full potency.

Dicko,

Be careful with this stuff, it's not the kindest stuff in the world to use if you get it on your hands, but it's a fantastic sanitizer.

Use 2-3ml / L, yes it is that concentrated. Keep it out of the light!

Diluted and in the dark, it should be ok for up to a week, but as it is so concentrated, just make up what you need.

The concentrated Oxonia should last over a year, I tested our 11 month old stuff last week and it was still at full potency.

Cheers Wasabi

I know what you mean by "not the kindest stuff", I accidentially spilt some on my hands... burnt/bleached the skin in seconds.

Thanks for the advice.

Back