Bleach Ratio For Sanitizing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrg0

Reaction score
:icon_chickcheers: Hi Brewers

I am going to use bleach to sanitize the fermenter and related bits and pieces prior to putting the wort into the fermenter. Can you advise me on the ratio of bleach to water for doing this.

Regards,

barwee :rolleyes:

Maybe more important just remember to rinse your gear really well after using bleach as it tends to want to hang around.

Coopers recommend 1/2 cup to a fermenter but 1:10 bleach: water will kill everything, including AIDS. :)
Beware that bleach can interract with phenols in teh beer to make a medicinal smell. I think I had this problem with a tripel last year so now I use "terminator" which is phosphoric acid (I think).

Try this graph based on the Star San guy podcast.
bleach_dilution_for_80ppm__versus_bleach_conc___.png

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pSa...rRfMPmRIAC-ZsTg

From the podcast, it works out to 1.6ml bleach to 1L water and 1.6ml vinegar. Contact time was 30seconds. Since I heard this podcast, I went to the chemist and got a 5mL medicine syringe, and have never looked back. I make up 2L of solution, and shake to contact all surfaces. Done. At this dilution, it's no rinse.

For deep sanitising, braufrau posted to an article which used the same ratio, but in higher concentration. 1/2 cup to a gallon, works out at 2L of each to a full fermenter. Soak for 20minutes, and its like the fermenter is brand new. This ratio will kill anthrax. Literally. Thats what they tested it on. :eek: Obviously at this dilution, it needs a bloody good rinse.

Latest posts

Back