Black pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a black pale ale without the flavour, cant you just close your eyes while you drink it? Im confused as to why you would want to change the coloir of a beer just for the sake of changing the colour of the beer?

Yeah, I don't understand wanting to make it black with none of the associated flavors either.

I don't care if you call something a black IPA and I don't understand people that do. Cascadian dark ale sounds completely wankerish.

StalkingWilbur said:
Yeah, I don't understand wanting to make it black with none of the associated flavors either.

I don't care if you call something a black IPA and I don't understand people that do. Cascadian dark ale sounds completely wankerish.

Spot on, also, calling it a Cascadian Dark Ale means that every time you offer someone a beer you'll need to explain that it's basically IPA with some roasted/black malt, surely it's easier to just call it a black IPA.

StalkingWilbur said:
Just to be clear, I couldn't give a monkeys what you or anyone else call your/their beer. But it can't be Pale and Black at the same time, it's a law or an old charter or something. It's like saying a politician is honest, the earth is flat or that Ian Thorpe is straight; you can say it, but it isn't true.

And we are way off topic

If the OP ever reads this thread again, IMO cold steeping roasted grains will add colour without too much roast flavour, but it will add some. And that's a good thing as others have pointed out

Donske said:
I think I'll keep calling the monster I have on tap right now an Imperial Black RyePA, and each glass will taste a little better knowing that somewhere someone is getting upset by something so inconsequential.
+1 ... had a good laugh at this one. I'll pour one for you good chap.

Cheers

Donske said:
I think I'll keep calling the monster I have on tap right now an Imperial Black RyePA, and each glass will taste a little better knowing that somewhere someone is getting upset by something so inconsequential.
You could call it " Black the Rypa"

I'm going to start calling my saisons "pale stout"

Young Henrys and Doctors orders put out a collaboration "white stout". It was neither white nor tasted like a stout. Sorry boys, a decent beer but calling it a stout was a gimmick.

People making pale stout are just being silly. In the 19th century stout must meant strong- so you had Brown stout, pale stout and so on. Over time it came to be associated with dark beers only and thus is used to describe the styles we stick to word stout in front of today.

Shit like this is why craft Brewers look like hipster wankers at times. Using an anachronistic definition of a word purely for marketing/wank factor is just so annoying

Back