Black Mac Clone...or Close Enough

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why ask a question if you don't want a good answer?

You were given a fine answer. Had you taken the time to read the information given to you you would have found the BJCP guide is a good source of information about styles (as interpreted by Americans) that include good flavour, aroma and physical descriptions and details about ingredients.
I encourage you to have a read of it from time to time, you might read about some beers that sound like they would tickle your fancy and then you could try to seek out commercial examples (which BJCP also list for most styles).

Edit: as noted by others, the BJCP style guide is not the be all and end all. There are many good beers that don't fall neatly into the style guidelines. However, it is hard to find documentation about these types of beers so the BJCP style guidelines is still good reading material to start with.
You could have just answered his questions, Malted...

Is there a difference between a dark ale, porter, and stout?
Yes
Or just different names for basically the same thing?
No

:p :p

You could have just answered his questions, Malted...
Thank you Mr Miyagi, I am not worthy of your teachings. :lol:

grasshopper_web.png

Why ask a question if you don't want a good answer?
You were given a fine answer. Had you taken the time to read the information given to you you would have found the BJCP guide is a good source of information about styles (as interpreted by Americans) that include good flavour, aroma and physical descriptions and details about ingredients.
I encourage you to have a read of it from time to time, you might read about some beers that sound like they would tickle your fancy and then you could try to seek out commercial examples (which BJCP also list for most styles).

Edit: as noted by others, the BJCP style guide is not the be all and end all. There are many good beers that don't fall neatly into the style guidelines. However, it is hard to find documentation about these types of beers so the BJCP style guidelines is still good reading material to start with.

I have been reading the information on the BJCP style guide, my comment was a little tounge in cheek. ;)

It does seem to me that some of these styles are quite similar though. I am a little disadvantaged in that I have no sense of smell, so a lot of the information on aroma is irrelevant to me, and I guess that would also affect the taste somewhat. So even though these types of beers are different, they will probably all taste quite similar to me.

My main objective is to find something similar to the Black Mac beer, which I have recently discovered I quite like. There is a recipe posted by Wolfman which I might try soon. I guess I will need to try a few more dark beers now to compare.

I also recently tried a Monteiths dark as well but found that a little bland, but that could be due to my less than brilliant smell, however the Macs was quite tasty. Where am I going with this? I don't really know, too early in the morning...

Except that it isn't a Monteiths beer.....

The way it is made makes it a dark lager if you want to be technical about it.....

My bad, I should really read things before replying to them. I'm not sure if Macs are lagers or ales, but if they're ales they're very clean so the US-05 comment stands.

Latest posts

Back