Black IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Posted this to show how I turned the beer from a nice amber colour at 29EBC into a black beer during the mash out making it 88EBC, I took some happy snaps aswell. It should get a nice amount of flavour of coffee & roast but without it being a hoppy stout.

[SIZE=small]Recipe – Black IPA 3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]OG – 1.062 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]FG – 1.012 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]ABV – 6.3%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]IBU – 85[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]EBC – 80[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Malt Bill[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]69% Golden Promise[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]10% Vienna Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]5% Medium Crystal[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]2% Melanoiden Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]2% Flaked Oats[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]8% Chocolate Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]2% Chocolate Wheat[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]2% Roasted Barley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Mash Profile – [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]MI/20c [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]55c/15m – Protein Rest [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]63c/45m – Beta Peak[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]73c/15m – Alpha Peak[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]78c/30m – Mash Out and add the 12% of chocolate/roasted malts (no gravity or residuals from these malts)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Hops[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Bittering – Warrior @ 60m to 35ibu[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Flavour – Simcoe/Amarillo @ 10m & 5m to 35ibu[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Flavour & Aroma – Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra Whirlpooled 10mins to 15ibu[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Aroma (Dry Hop) 6g/L – Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra for 7days @ 21c[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Addition’s[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]500g Dextrose added 10mins of boil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Gypsum 15g - 10g mash, 5g sparge water[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Fermented with WLP002 @ 19c – it’s a low attenuator at 70% but the mash profile and dextrose will see that get to >75%[/SIZE]

Actually had a much higher brewhouse efficiency, was set at 63% to make 20Lt and I got 76% = a 1.069 and 21.5lts B) Due to the increase vol and starting OG my yeast starter was not big enough which lead to an increased lag of about 15hrs instead of the usual 8-10 I get when using liquid yeast starters.

Due to the malt pipe on the BM limiting the grain bill unless I sacrifice eff I decided to use the 12% of roasted malts for a 30min mashout only, worked perfect.

BIPA1.JPG BIPA2.JPG

BIPA3.JPG BIPA4.JPG BIPA5.JPG

BIPA6.JPG BIPA7.JPG BIPA8.JPG

Will try to update when the beer is dry hopped and into the glass :super:

Good info Pratty.

I use the same technique (dark malts at mash out) for all my dark beers.

Using this method, I have been able to get one of my mates who hates dark beers to drink my black IPA as it doesn't have a huge coffee flavor.

Very interested to see how this goes, I have a shiteload of dark spec malts that I want to start getting rid of

TommyC said:
Good info Pratty.

I use the same technique (dark malts at mash out) for all my dark beers.

Using this method, I have been able to get one of my mates who hates dark beers to drink my black IPA as it doesn't have a huge coffee flavo
Might be able to convert a few of mine :) For your interest - look up a beer call the Anamoly from Faction Brewing, its a nitro fed stout that looks like a pale ale, they had them on the Brewing Network a few weeks ago.

Back on Topic, In the past I had made a couple of BIPA and the first tried steeping over night and adding to mashout which only achieved very dark brown and the next time used Breiss 6001 tinter which turned it black alright but the flavour was missing.

This way it should impart enough of that black malt character and get balance with the hops & ABV%, to be honest after it turned black i questioned if I had enough hops to get that result. :ph34r:

Pratty1 said:
Might be able to convert a few of mine :) For your interest - look up a beer call the Anamoly from Faction Brewing, its a nitro fed stout that looks like a pale ale, they had them on the Brewing Network a few weeks ago.

Back on Topic, In the past I had made a couple of BIPA and the first tried steeping over night and adding to mashout which only achieved very dark brown and the next time used Breiss 6001 tinter which turned it black alright but the flavour was missing.

This way it should impart enough of that black malt character and get balance with the hops & ABV%, to be honest after it turned black i questioned if I had enough hops to get that result. :ph34r:
I tried a 'white stout' once, wasn't impressed with the result, was overly sweet due to too much lactose. I will have a look at the one you mentioned.

FYI, my Black IPA recipe is as follows

19L batch
OG 1.080
FG 1.017
IBU 69.6
Color 63.7 EBC

Malt Bill
6.2kg JW Trad Ale
0.4kg Simpsons Medium Crystal

0.4kg Simpsons Chocolate Malt (at mash out)

Mash Schedule
65degC for 60mins using HERMS (thickness - 3.2L/kg)
Raise to 76degC, add choc malt and hold for 15 min

Boil Time 90min

Hop Schedule
25g Centennial (60min)
25g Pride of Ringwood (60min) - I didnt have enough centennial hops so i used half POR

25g Centennial - 20 min

25g Amarillo - At Flameout
25g Simcoe - At Flameout

50g Amarillo - Dry Hop in secondary - 7 days
50g Simcoe - Dry Hop in secondary - 7 days

Ferment using Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III

The Hops in this recipe are huge for flavour and aroma and it doesn't come across as a hoppy stout. I have a feeling i missed to OG on this slightly (1.074) and don't have access to my records at work (only the plan). Not that it matters in the end as it is a tasty brew.

^ ^

The Amarillo/Simcoe combo is great to use and I think compliments the dark profile of the beer.

I like that your malt bill is so basic, my dark malts = 780g

Have you tried it with different Yeasts?

I the Amarillo/Simcoe combo and have been using it for a few brews recently.

Its a first brew and I used a re-cultured yeast from a stout. I read in BYO a few months back that stout yeasts are good for black IPA's.

The keg was only tapped a month ago and I haven't gotten around to thinking what changes i might make. Im not sure how much change the yeast would make as the hop flavors and aromas are quite strong. You're giving me ideas for an experiment ... 1 wort, 4 x 5L ferments using different yeasts...

I'm interested to hear how WLP002 goes in your brew as i don't mind it as a general purpose yeast.

if you do embark on a yeast trial with a beer like this it would be good to read about, possibly US05, 1056, 1318 & WLP002

Its only my second use of the WLP002 one of which is still in dry hop phase and the other pitched into darkness, they are known for low attenuators as you know. On both brews I fermented at 63c for >30mins and also at 73C for at least 15mins. This BIPA has dex but with the under pitching it may struggle to see the race out, expected FG is 1.012.

Black IPA.jpg

Here is pic for reference of my Black IPA. Its not too dark that the head of the beer is brown like an imperial stout.

TommyC said:
attachicon.gif
Black IPA.jpg

Here is pic for reference of my Black IPA. Its not too dark that the head of the beer is brown like an imperial stout.
That looks the goods and I know with Simcoe/Amarillo the flavour that would have, cant wait for mine to be dry hopped and kegged :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Excellent timing for this post, have just decided to do a Black IPA tomorrow and was just going to throw 20-40gm some roast barley into good IPA recipe I have at mash out...looks like it might be a go!.

fraser_john said:
Excellent timing for this post, have just decided to do a Black IPA tomorrow and was just going to throw 20-40gm some roast barley into good IPA recipe I have at mash out...looks like it might be a go!.
Hi Fraser, which IPA recipe are you going to use?

Also, is that a typo......20-40gm of roasted barley = 2 a 3ebc darker???

Did you mean 200-400gm? Even that wont be enough to turn it jet black. unless.........maybe if its ground to a fine powder it may extract more of the colour I heard of that technique on Ryans Brew where he used 140g (5oz) of Carafa 2 at mashout only.

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/black-color-without-roast-flavor.html

Pratty1 said:
Hi Fraser, which IPA recipe are you going to use?

Also, is that a typo......20-40gm of roasted barley = 2 a 3ebc darker???

Did you mean 200-400gm? Even that wont be enough to turn it jet black. unless.........maybe if its ground to a fine powder it may extract more of the colour I heard of that technique on Ryans Brew where he used 140g (5oz) of Carafa 2 at mashout only.

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/black-color-without-roast-flavor.html

Yeah, played with recipe, had to darken it up!

Mine is as follows, the Carafa and chocolate will go into the mash when I start to ramp up the PID to mash out temp:
Code:
Black American IPA 2014

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L):          24.00    Wort Size (L):     24.00
Total Grain (kg):         6.57
Anticipated OG:          1.067    Plato:             16.42
Anticipated SRM:          27.2
Anticipated IBU:          66.6
Brewhouse Efficiency:       80 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 68.5     4.50 kg.  Pilsner                       Australia      1.037      1
 15.2     1.00 kg.  Weyermann Munich I            Germany        1.038      8
  7.6     0.50 kg.  Crystal 10L                   America        1.035     10
  4.6     0.30 kg.  Chocolate Malt                Great Britain  1.034    475
  3.0     0.20 kg.  Weyermann Carahell            Germany        1.035     13
  1.1     0.07 kg.  Weyermann Carafa Special I    Germany        1.036    482

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 29.00 g.     Magnum                            Pellet  13.50  49.4  60 min.
 40.00 g.     Centennial                        Pellet   9.20   9.3  10 min.
 50.00 g.     Cascade                           Pellet   7.60   8.0  5 min.
 45.00 g.     Amarillo Gold                     Pellet  10.00   0.0  0 min.

Yeast
-----
Mangrove Jack West Coast * 2 packs

Make sure you remove the potential gravity extraction from the 2 malts used for blackening the beer. Only 370g which will be about 3-4 points of gravity?

Pratty1 said:
Make sure you remove the potential gravity extraction from the 2 malts used for blackening the beer. Only 370g which will be about 3-4 points of gravity?
With a 15 minute ramp/recirc at mash out temps, plus a batch sparge after that with another 15 minute recirc, I get those extra points from the colouring malts anyway.

I'm confused, your saying that enzyme activity and starch conversion will happen at mashout temperature, it will denature won't it......???

Pratty1 said:
I'm confused, your saying that enzyme activity and starch conversion will happen at mashout temperature, it will denature won't it......???
Yeah not sure, but my target OG is always within +/- 1 or 2 points, regardless whether I throw something in for the last 20/30 minutes. I throw it in the mash just as it starts to ramp, at around 66c, so at that point there is probably tons of enzymes in the wort, enough to convert just 300/400 grams of new starches/sugars. The ramp takes 15 minutes, plenty of time.

Mine turned out pretty good, 24 hour lag time, fermenting nicely now.

1) A few minutes after adding the crushed roasted malts to mash
20141011_084204.jpg

2) Recirculating wort colour at 76c mashout
20141011_090029.jpg

3) First runnings
20141011_092338.jpg

4) Boil after Magnum addition
20141011_105740.jpg

Pratty1 said:
fraser_john said:
With a 15 minute ramp/recirc at mash out temps, plus a batch sparge after that with another 15 minute recirc, I get those extra points from the colouring malts anyway.
Pratty1 said:
fraser_john said:
Yeah not sure, but my target OG is always within +/- 1 or 2 points, regardless whether I throw something in for the last 20/30 minutes. I throw it in the mash just as it starts to ramp, at around 66c, so at that point there is probably tons of enzymes in the wort, enough to convert just 300/400 grams of new starches/sugars. The ramp takes 15 minutes, plenty of time.
My understanding is that for roast or crystal malts you dont need the enzymes as the starches have been converted during the roasting process and only need to be rinsed out.

I have always assumed i would get most of the gravity points when adding at mash out and holding for 15mins before sparging.

TommyC said:
My understanding is that for roast or crystal malts you dont need the enzymes as the starches have been converted during the roasting process and only need to be rinsed out.

I have always assumed i would get most of the gravity points when adding at mash out and holding for 15mins before sparging.
That would make sense.

Latest posts

Back