Bitter Is Better

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on holiday in London last week and was quite pleased to see almost every pub we went to had a selection of hand-pumped real ales.
Not to mention the huge number of good British ales that are available at some of the supermarkets and off-license shops.
Tried as many as I possibly could in my short stay. Alot of them arn't particularly common over hear...not to mention really pricey!

These are interesting figures.

Ale sales up 6.6%.
Lagers down only 0.2%, so total beer sales up 6.4.
(Assuming all the beers fall into one or other category.)

Meanwhile, red wine up 11.2, white up 5.8, rose up 34!

I'm no statistician, but I'm beginning to wonder if you can find a sober person in the UK.

i must admit, the range of beers offered in Tesco is quite impressive. whenever im there i tend to pick up a different english real ale, and the obligatory SNPA (love it). Asda have a reasonable range as well, with Sainsbury comming in last.

Avit, is the selection of beers in pubs changing as well? More variety? Local microbrewery or international beers?

Avit, is the selection of beers in pubs changing as well? More variety? Local microbrewery or international beers?

it all depends on where you go. the big chain pubs will always a have 2 or 3 'real ales' on tap (for instance Wethersoons http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/food-and-dr...ons-of-ale.php)

there are a whole heap of pubs in and around Manchester selling different ales from different brewery's - where does one find the time to try them all!! i went to a home brew shop, 20 minutes down the road from my place, and the owner mentioned a pub not far away that would sell completely different beers, guest ales to where i live.

i think its much harder in Melbourne to find a variety of beer than it is in England. there is still a massive tendancy for people to drink bland lager etc but at least the options are out there (and obviously selling)

i cant help but think the climate helps as well. alot of my mates will drink soley lager during the summer, and move to bitter during the winter.

Latest posts

Back