Bitsa - Advice Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyatt_girth

Reaction score
Heya,
Wanted to do a mix with some bits and pieces I have at the moment and just wanted to get some feedback if I could. Thinkin of tryin to get near an APA using a Coopers IPA kit with extra dry malt to get a little closer to balance. Will go along the lines of - IPA tin HBS made dry malt mix (guessin LDM - maybe 700g, bit of dex maybe 200g, I know it has about 100g wheat malt), extra 5oog DME, steep of cascade 20g and amarillo 15g, and I have some colombus that I haven't even tried yet so am thinking maybe a dry hop with that near the end of ferment.
This ticks all the boxes on ianh's spreadsheet but just wonderin if this will actually taste ok. Any input is appreciated.
Thankya.

Sounds good to me, suck it up and see! :p

Might be more of an IPA due to the kit (extra bitterness+your hops) either way, it will be bitter and hoppy! I'd be tempted to boil some hops in a little kit/DME and water for around 10mins too. give abit of extra hop flavour.

Cheers!

thanks blokes. wasn't really expecting a quick response, being on a friday nightand all, but am happy that it will be a goer. Bit late for the CPA yeast cocko - this will be goin on in the morn. Might give that a run in the near future though.

You think maybe even a bit more DME to bring the IPA kit a tiny bit more back to APA territory? I am happy for it to be a little on the bitter side but I don't really want a full on IPA. I know - why use an IPA kit then? because I want to try and make it a bit more malty-flavour than any I have done in the past and thought the IPA kit would help keep it from being too sweet. This sound a fair call?

cheers
wyatt

With the IPA kit it will be bitter, but not uber bitter, add some flame out hops to make it more like an IPA. Dont worry it will still be good, just borderline.

Will do. Doesn't look like I'm gonna get to do this today, mrs gone out shopping with the 4yr old and I'm minding the 3mnth old :unsure: . Will try and book a spot tomorrow morn and go with it. Thanks again.

That tin comes out at about 31 IBU made up to 23lt so I wouldn't be too concerned about the bitterness being too strong for style. The hopping in it is more English (I think I remember reading someone here claim it was Styrian Goldings?) so that'd knock you out of style more than the bitterness.

I've just done a brew with this tin and 90g of Fuggles and even green I reckon it has turned out to be quite decent. Let us know how it turns out.

Heya,
Wanted to do a mix with some bits and pieces I have at the moment and just wanted to get some feedback if I could. Thinkin of tryin to get near an APA using a Coopers IPA kit with extra dry malt to get a little closer to balance. Will go along the lines of - IPA tin HBS made dry malt mix (guessin LDM - maybe 700g, bit of dex maybe 200g, I know it has about 100g wheat malt), extra 5oog DME, steep of cascade 20g and amarillo 15g, and I have some colombus that I haven't even tried yet so am thinking maybe a dry hop with that near the end of ferment.
This ticks all the boxes on ianh's spreadsheet but just wonderin if this will actually taste ok. Any input is appreciated.
Thankya.

Wyatt,

I put down something similar two months ago, less the 500g DME... it came out okay, but possibly not enough malt included in the recipe, as some mates have commented it's a touch too bitter. So I reckon your spot on there.

FYI my mix was:
21ltr - two week ferment
1*Coopers APA Tin
1kg LME
400g Dextrose (liquid glucose)
25g Chinook @ 30
10g Cascade @ 10, 5 & FO
12g Safale 04

My next go at this will remove some dextrose for DME, as per your recipe.

Let us know how it pans out!

Back