Birko or Buffalo 40l urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using the buffalo for a few months now, and can't fault it. I have never used a Birko so couldn't give a comparison, but I'm happy I went with the buffalo. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I was starting to get annoyed with the constant spam. But the other day I was driving near the new store in brisbane and got a text from them saying first 50 customers today get a free skillet, so I ended up with 2 pint glasses and a cast iron skillet for $3.50. Not so annoyed anymore.

I use a Buffalo in the UK and have had minor issues along with a few other UK forum members.
Firstly the overtemp sensor is too low temperature (120°c) which can cause the element to cut out mid boil until it cools down.
This can be resolved with a 130°c replacement which was £1 from Amazon or disconnection.
The second issue caused the power to cut out completely which is caused by the thermal fuse. A replacement was 89p from Maplins.
No further issues since replacing these.
A mate who ordered at the same time as me has had no issues at all so I wouldn't say it was a design defect.
The key is keeping the concealed element spotless which is difficult mid brew.

Cheers Anthony, good to know if I ever have any problems.

I got a Buffalo from Nisbets late last year. I've done 4 brews in it now. The 3rd one it cut out about 10 minutes into the boil. I used my coopers long handle plastic stirrer to scrape at the element cover and it started up again and kept going through for the rest of the boil. Before the last use I had given it a soak in sodium percarbonate and it boiled away just fine. Last clean was using citric acid - I think a tip I picked up from one of Bribie G's posts.
Ever since getting it the light to indicate that it's heating or has reached desired heat or whatever has never worked. Also, I have to set it to full n to keep it boiling - 110°c.
I was lucky enough to get it in store at the discount price so paid around $180 I think.
So far I'm happy with it.

After much faff with eBay (still not resolved) my Buffalo arrived but guess what? It was 20L not the 40L I ordered! Oh me... Awaiting a replacement so I can pop my 2c in and actually get a brew on!

Ended up ordering the Buffalo from Nisbets last night plus some other brew paraphernalia. I'd heard that the big thing with these is keeping the element clean to stop it cutting out so that's something I'll definitely keep an eye on before, during and after the boil. All in all, I'm pretty keen for this baby to arrive! Once again thanks for the replies- puts the mind at ease knowing people are happy with their Buffs.

Back