Birko or Buffalo 40l urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bundy

Reaction score
After reading up on BIAB and watching lots of YouTube videos I've decided to jump into the AG world and give it a go.

Looking at getting an electric urn and now tossing up between buffalo and birko. The buffalo is about $70 cheaper than what I can find the birko for so leaning that way. ($220 v $290) From what I read buffalo seems highly regarded in the uk whilst birko is more common here.

Any problems anyone had with the buffalo that I should reconsider and spend the extra $70?

Or keep the coin and spend it on my first lot of grain?

Cheers

I've used the buffalo for about 4 brews so far. Good solid build and gets a good boil. Don't have much to compare it with myself, but no problems thus far.

Cheers I've gone with the buffalo.

$220 on sale and use a code WELCOME to get another $10 off. Nisbets.com.au is where I sourced it if anyone interested.

They have also listed one on eBay for $189 without a box, but as I needed shipping was easier to go via the shop for me

yeah, but nisbets give you 24 free mugs with a birko. Swings and roundabouts n that

Gah! I can't pay by cards registered outside Oz... I need to get my bank account setup quick sharp for this one, unless I see something on fleebay of course. Thanks for posting this bundy.

As you say Buffalo get a good rap in the UK, I'd be confident with one of those.

Actually Birko and Crown are probably about level pegging in Australia as urns go.

BreadMurderer said:
Gah! I can't pay by cards registered outside Oz... I need to get my bank account setup quick sharp for this one, unless I see something on fleebay of course. Thanks for posting this bundy.
I think I remember from another post that you are moving to Melbourne? If you are, they have a store there.

BreadMurderer said:
This from the same company (Nisbets) but no box and on eBay if you are quick so can pay using Paypal - $189

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Buffalo-Manual-Fill-Water-Boiler-CC193-/111232345756?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_Catering_Equipment&hash=item19e5f6e69c&_uhb=1

bundy you sir are a HERO.

I've had a slight problem though... I was just away to purchase said item but then eBay blocked my account (I guess being in China and ordering to Australia sets of a few alarms at eBay HQ) so I went on to their online chat, then had to phone them (for 30mins) and now have had to send them a photocopy of my drivers licence as they couldn't verify me via my mobile. Oh my f.... not a happy bunny right now and it states possible wait of 7-10days so by then this could be gone. As Tony the Tiger would say... Grrrrrrrrreat! :unsure:

bundy said:
Cheers I've gone with the buffalo.

$220 on sale and use a code WELCOME to get another $10 off. Nisbets.com.au is where I sourced it if anyone interested.

They have also listed one on eBay for $189 without a box, but as I needed shipping was easier to go via the shop for me
bundy, any feedback on these bad boys so far? I'm trying to scout out as much first hand info as possible as I've been looking into getting one for BIAB and tossing up between a Buffalo or a Birko. Nesbits is flogging the Buffalos for $170 as opposed to $260 for the Birkos (admittedly you do get the 24 mugs with the Birko, that'll probably do me for the rest of my life in terms of mugs), and I'm thinking that at that price the Buffalo is too good a deal to pass up on. Like you I'm stuggling with the dilemma to go with the tried and tested Birko or the newcomer to these shores. $90 bucks is a fair difference, that'll nearly cover the materials for my immersion chiller...

Birko is awesome. But be warned!!!!!

You will get spammed to buggary from Nisbets. Emails, texts, pamphlets etc. I got my urn delivered to work and now since they had my delivery address in their system, every month there's a a f***ing 300 page hospitality catalogue on my desk. I've emailed, called, and texted 'unsubscribe' to their stupid SMS's which even says "to unsubscribe reply STOP to blablabla" and yet i still get their crap from them.

so yeah, Birko = awesome; Nisbets = cheap but incredibly annoying.

Nisbets business model sounds like Kogan :p
Hey, Kogan Urn, now that could be a price buster.

Haha their signature model... Kogurn.

Groan. That doesn't even qualify as a dad joke.

Beware the cost of those unsub texts.
Sneaky people sometimes make them expensive "premium" messages.

joshF said:
Birko is awesome. But be warned!!!!!

You will get spammed to buggary from Nisbets. Emails, texts, pamphlets etc. I got my urn delivered to work and now since they had my delivery address in their system, every month there's a a f***ing 300 page hospitality catalogue on my desk. I've emailed, called, and texted 'unsubscribe' to their stupid SMS's which even says "to unsubscribe reply STOP to blablabla" and yet i still get their crap from them.

so yeah, Birko = awesome; Nisbets = cheap but incredibly annoying.
Cheers for the warning, it's good to know stuff like that before you seal the deal.

Certainly no issues with the urn. Well made and delivery was good. Only complaint is the price now is cheaper than what I paid 2 weeks ago. So for $170 plus GST you can't go wrong.

From my research buffalo very popular with BIAB guys in the uk so some runs on the board so to speak.

As for emails etc. post sale, not too bad but yeah they do try upsell you.

Back