Bigw 19l Stockpot Handles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_harvey

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the handles on the cheap (~$20 I think) BigW stockpots.

I get nervous if I have to lift the pot while it's hot and full of water/grain and am afraid they may come off one day. They don't look too strong.
Sometimes I'll let the pot cool overnight on the stove but I prefer to carry it to the laundry sink to cool it off quicker.

Can I get some ressurance? :mellow:

I use the same stockpot with the welded handles and it is a concern that they will give out, and one day they will.

Play it safe, check them before you do your boil and make sure the welds are holding firm, then make sure your path is clear to the tub, if a handle starts to go,

you can put it down on the floor before losing it everywhere.
Even safer, upgrade to a quality pot as soon as money allows(thats my plan).

They definitely don't look sturdy, but I haven't heard of anyone having the handles break off. I don't take the chance with them though and carry it by the bottom w/ some oven gloves or such.

I'm scared of those little spot welds. I give them the same look I give the pilot and the first officer boarding my plane.

They definitely don't look sturdy, but I haven't heard of anyone having the handles break off. I don't take the chance with them though and carry it by the bottom w/ some oven gloves or such.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Cheers.

Maybe a thick jumper as well so I can hold it close to my chest coz it's f'n heavy :)

if your gonna hug it I would look at getting a pvc apron or something more protective than a cotton/polyester jumper!! hot wort = ouch

maybe a quick trip to a fabrication shop to have few tack welds with a TIG to make it a little more sturdy is in order?

put a tap in it and no-chill in a 15L cube

easy

I carry the full pot around three or four times during a brew day, distances of up to eight metres I guess. Haven't failed yet, but I try to limit this situation.

Four stainless bolts n nuts and a high-temp plastic washer or eight and be paranoid no more!

Back