BIAB with chill overnight in the "kettle" (not cube)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuz

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,
Would chilling wort overnight in the kettle pose any problems if the kettle is sealed?
I'm thinking getting a 35L SST Milk Can, which is gasket - sealed, meaning a very minimal risk of infection overnight compared to a typical stock pot:

peTCuOXl.jpg

To be powered by the 2200W element.
4727d-2200-watt-stainless-steel-heating-element.jpg

Just want to avoid the additional process of cubing if possible.
What do you think?
Cheers!

It should be ok. I'd think to cap it at flame out so the entire vessel is close to the boil temp. Is it airtight? If not it will suck in air when it contracts when cooling down. That's when you risk infection. Otherwise if it is airtight you will get a vacuum and unless it has a release valve you will find it hard to get the lid off when its cooled.

It should be ok. I'd think to cap it at flame out so the entire vessel is close to the boil temp. Is it airtight? If not it will suck in air when it contracts when cooling down. That's when you risk infection. Otherwise if it is airtight you will get a vacuum and unless it has a release valve you will find it hard to get the lid off when its cooled.
Yeah, these things are meant to be air tight - potential for implosion as it cools? Will prob need to fit a valve (maybe install a gas post on the lid and disconnect running into an air filter of sorts?).

Why not look at it a different way?
Rather than chill in the kettle, ferment in the cube.
Still only one transfer...

Yeah, these things are meant to be air tight - potential for implosion as it cools? Will prob need to fit a valve (maybe install a gas post on the lid and disconnect running into an air filter of sorts?).

Are they suitable as a kettle? Yeah looking at them I think those walls could buckle in when it cools. If its airtight.

Latest posts

Back