Biab Turbid Mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
ive been getting into the sours lately. last week i got a slab of rodenbach grand cru for 40 bucks and a mate and myself got through it in one night(slightly braging,how cheap they were that is).now id like to do a sour sour using biab. im just wondering how to do the turbid mash and pull it off. i would like some thing like the rodenbachs or even better a cantillion style and have a carboy i can spare for a year or more.and im not interested in fruit either id prefer a straight lambic or flanders red/brown syle.hopefully some one can help,cause im addicted and cant get more cheap ones!

Its just about getting some unconverted starch and protein into your kettle - all you need to do is mash in, lift your bag a bit in the first few minutes and drain off a portion of the liquid. Transfer this to a separate pot and quickly heat it up to say 90 while you get on with the rest of your mash. This will denature the enzymes and leave a "turbid" portion with dissolved but unconverted starches etc.

After you complete the rest of your main mash, raise it up to nearly a mash-out temp, dump back in the hot turbid portion to get you the rest of the way to 78 - stir it all together and pull the bag as per normal.

viola - BIAB turbid mash (BIAB mashes are pretty turbid anyway!!)

Latest posts

Back