Biab Scooping Off The Foam

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for those links Big Nath.
Seems opinion is divided.
Next batch I will try non-skim, sounds like I may have to watch for boil-overs though, but I will only have about 30 litres in a 40 litre urn so should be OK.

Nah should be OK. My regular batches are around 31-32 l in a 40l Birko. Never even looks threatening.
+1 for the spray bottle in case tho.

I stopped skimming on about BIAB brew #3, haven't noticed a difference.

These days I do 60L biabs (90+L pre-boil, 68L cubed)

I use a squirt of fermcap and then I don't need to worry too much about boil-overs

I BIAB'd for years, then moved to 3V, now also have a recirculating BIAB setup. Between skimming and not, I can't tell a difference in the final beer or in the amount of trub. Lets face it, the amount you skim would end up being bugger all in a glass once the air has come out of it. I no longer skim.

QldKev

thanks heaps all.
I did my first BIABNSNC (Brew In A Bag No Skim No Chill) batch yesterday and the resulting wort looks and tastes fine.
My brewday was easier and more enjoyable, and I got a heap of other jobs done, although the boil may have been a little longer than 60 minutes, because I wasn't standing there skimming when it began.

thanks heaps all.
I did my first BIABNSNC (Brew In A Bag No Skim No Chill) batch yesterday and the resulting wort looks and tastes fine.
My brewday was easier and more enjoyable, and I got a heap of other jobs done, although the boil may have been a little longer than 60 minutes, because I wasn't standing there skimming when it began.

That sounded like a previous boss who had a bad speech impediment. I've done a couple of brew days where I took my kit to brew with / against other brewers and they have noted that I was getting a lot of foam - but I'm a mad squeezer which could account for some of that.

When I do stepped brews I get a completely different foam to single sacc rest batches. Really notice cleaning the pot.

Skim or don't skim, it's personal preference. I always skim, not because i think it makes a difference to the finished beer but it does in my experience prevent foam up at the start of the boil and also during the boil.

Latest posts

Back