Biab Right Now! Help Please...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
Im brewing a pilsner using the BIAB method. It is the first time using this method and i was just wondering how much water do I need if I have a 4.6kg grain bill. Im using a 50L converted keg, and I am currently bringing 35L up to 69 degrees. Is this the correct ammount of water and the right temp to add the grain. My research says it should be ok but i want to double check.

Scotty

I get around 34.5L for a 23L batch and 4.5kg - so looks smack on to me!

Cheers - Mike

Maybe a little hot though - I'd dough in at 68deg, for a 64deg mash.

i do 32.5L for the same amount of grain & 23L (into fermenter anyway). mine is into a crown urn though, so i guess it comes down to how vigorous your boil is. the point is you're going to be a bit off the first time - just write everything down and you'll get it spot on after another batch or two.

rob.

thanks mate so I was really close

Very. Don't stress about it - you will learn your gear and refine over time. IMHO a degree or two and 1/2 a L here or there really isn't worth stressing about while you are learning. All kinds of things happen - right and wrong, so just go through the process as calmly as you can, dont have too many beers and stress less. :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers - Mike

im not going to promise about the too many beers part :p

Better let us know how it went. Hopefully well.

Latest posts

Back