Biab Recipe - Hefeweizen & Mid Strength

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydav

Reaction score
After getting half the stuff for a BIAB 16 months ago I'm finally going to extract the digit and make a batch. I'm looking for a recipe for a Hefeweizen.

I'm also looking for a recipe for a mid-strength (say 3.5%) light summer lawn-mower beer. Probably something along the lines of a Corona but a bit lower strength.

Apologies if these recipes exist here. Have looked but the BIAB thread is huge now. Feel free to point me to the post if that's easier.

Tony

Starting out AG, keep your recipes simple.

Hefeweizen:
3kg Wheat Malt (Weyermann Pale Wheat is good)
2kg Ale Malt (JW Trad Ale will do, or BB Ale or even a pilsner malt)
Mash around 65
Bitter with Hallertauer (German) to 20IBU, no flavour/aroma hops.
Ferment with Wyeast 3068, look in the "Style of the Week" forums for the hefeweizen topic, and choose a fermentation temperature/regime based on your preferred ester profile.

Summer Ale:
3kg Ale or Pilsner Malt
0.5kg Wheat Malt
Mash around 67-68
Hop how you like, if you want extra hop flavour skip the bittering additions and make up your IBU from <20min additions (Beersmith/Promash is good for this). NZ hops are good for lawnmower beers.

You can use pretty much any AG recipe in the RecipeDB for BIAB, keep that in mind.

Hi Tonydav,

Welcome to the world of AG and BIAB (I've been saying that a lot lately, seems to be a lot more people starting up)
I have cut n pasted my Heffe that is currently carbonating in the bottle so I can't give you any taste feedback.
I also can't remember exactly where I got it, maybe the recipeDB?

As for a mid range I think Dr Smurto's Golden Ale is one and apparently is a nice drop - it's one of my next to do.
It's in the RecipeDB - as Adamt said any AG recipe will work,it's all AG just a different method.

Have fun!

Anyway it's my second BIAB, you've got my notes as well:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bavarian Heffweizen
Brewer: Nick
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier)
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 35.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 50.00 %
25.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min)Hops 13.2 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3056) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: BIAB
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
BIAB
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Initial Add 38.00 L of water at 68.5 C 67.0 C
10 min Mashout Heat to 77.0 C over 10 min 77.0 C

Notes:
------
38L initial amount of water.
Strike temp @ 68.5
Mash temp @ 67
Mash out @ 77 (over 10mins)
90 min boil.
Ended up with 26L measured in the kettle, filled out 21L into cube with not too much left over with trub.
Pre-boil SG: 1.034
Pre-boil vol: 35L
OG: 1.048
FG: 1010 (19 Jul)
Cubed overnight and yeast added to wort @ 21deg.

Thanks guys!

Exactly what I was after. Will have to get the rest of the bits (from memory I only need the bag assuming nothing was lost in moving house). Of course also need the ingredients. What's recommended for buying the malts etc? I've bought gear from (from memory) Ross in Qld - I'm assuming buying the ingredients by mail is no prob? Will also check out the local HBS of course.

I did a 100% wheat, which of course you won't have any problems with as you are doing BIAB. Was quite a nice tatsting wheat beer, I used Mittlefreuh plugs and the dried yeast from Ross.

Back