Biab or change to mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now no longer have to lift with one arm while heating up to the next step. I got hold of an extremely technical bit of gear, used for high tolerance work in neurosurgery I believe. Super technical.

image.jpg

hotmelt said:
I think your garage door would be heavier than a bag of wet grain so it should be ok to hang a pulley off.
Yes, but the weight of the door is dispersed more evenly across two brackets. The weight of the grain would be greater than the weight of the door at any one point of the bracket.

I don't mind the idea of draining though.

Prince Imperial said:
Yes, but the weight of the door is dispersed more evenly across two brackets. The weight of the grain would be greater than the weight of the door at any one point of the bracket.

I don't mind the idea of draining though.
It's more of a safety concern that you'd be ADDING weight to the already loaded garage door bracket. Rolling the door down should be relieving said bracket of enough strength to take the 10-20kg weight of wet grain though, exercising caution as always of course.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
2 cheap plastic buckets with holes in the top and a tap at the bottom :ph34r:
Was wondering how long it would be. Was worried you were ill or something. Good to see my fears were unfounded

Prince Imperial said:
Slightly off topic, but what do BIABers suspend their pulleys from? My garage has nothing other than the brackets that the garage door rolls along & I doubt they are strong enough. Anyone have any brilliant solutions?
I have recently purchased a 60 L urn. Have just finished the frame to get it at a reasonable working height. Next is to make a single arm gantry up the back of the frame and over the urn centre. I'm going to make this pivot so I can swing the bag to the side and finish drain/sparge into a separate container.

mje1980 said:
I now no longer have to lift with one arm while heating up to the next step. I got hold of an extremely technical bit of gear, used for high tolerance work in neurosurgery I believe. Super technical.
I got the heavy lift version. For those of us with big bags.Brew corner 109.jpg

Back