Biab Nubcake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yandy5000

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am a home brewer from southern vic. I did my first BIAB a few days ago and everything seemed to go smoothly!

I have brewed with extracts and grain for a few years and became bored of that same old taste. I'm not saying that these beers were bad, they don't have the cidery twangs or overtly off flavours, but after many consistent brews I just got sick of it.The flavour was helped along by a shift to liquid yeast but it wouldn't go much beyond what it was. Some were better than others, ESB kits and extracts went well but coopers usually not for me.

I tried a fresh wort kit and though it tasted very good, the brew day itself was a non event. It was more fun steeping grains and boiling up cans of goo. More recently I found an old book on wine making, which also has some beer recipes. There is a section on 'imitation beers', which includes odd things like nettle beer - but also malt extract beer came under this heading. I'd already decided to abandon the extract at that point but it made sense to me.

Quick note on setup - 30 litre boiler, 47 litre esky with tap, a bag, some tubing. I didn't sparge for my first attempt, just heated strike water to 72 then mashed for 90 mins. Mash was 65-66 degrees throughout. Boil was 60 mins. Next time I might try to put more science into it.

The boil had a lovely rich smell and creamy foam on top. It took some time for me to feel prepared for the process and this forum has helped in so many ways, so thanks :) I will let you know how it turns out - it's a chinook apa as per the G&G APA recipe but using chinook for boil, finish and dry hop.

best regards,
Yandy

Hello!

I find my taste for beer shifts with the seasons. As it gets darker and colder I prefer progressively darker beers, ending up with stout in the middle of winter. Between here and there it's usually amber ales or IPA, then pale ales as the weather warms. Lagers only in summer when pale ales are too filling or that's all there is. I prefer craft brewed over anything - except coopers pale, stout and abbotsford when I want that taste of Yarra.

At home, I have been trying to make a tasty pale ale. Not an LCPA, more of a Kooinda pale. Other favourites are Gippsland gold and Yarra valley gold. The idea was to come up with a recipe I could do each season with fresh cascade hops. I have made a few stouts with some degree of success but nothing like I'm really hankering for (full grain flavour!). I don't mind if beers are a bit rough around the edges, but I do want a proper full malt flavour (no confection sweetness), good balance of fresh hop flavours and some complexity of flavour. After all a beer has to be tasty to make you want to drink it.

I was blown away by the american amber ale at Mornington brewery and this got me very interested in this style. I am a huge fan of IPA also but prefer something that doesn't have me shitfaced after 2 pints.

Cheers!
Yandy

Latest posts

Back