BIAB newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SBOB said:
its one of those 'old wives tales' from when BIAB first started. No actual scientific basis in its reasoning, but gets sprouted as a fact (usually because someone read it posted by someone else who posted it because they read it posted by someone else and so on)
This seems to happen a lot until things become "fact". It's interesting that a lot of these often touted "facts" are now being actually tested and disproven.

There's also a range of ways to manage the weight of the bag. I have a craftbrewer bag which has eyelets sewn into the top. I generally brew in my shed so have a very simple arrangement with some rope, a carabiner and a tie off point with an eyelet screwed to a beam.

This makes grain bills of up to 12-14kg manageable on my own. I normally do 40L batches with 8-10kg and have never had any issues. Easy to tie off while it drains or to raise the bag for step mashing or mash out.

It depends on your arrangement and brew space but there's plenty of ways to manage lifting the bag.

In terms of efficiency there are much more important factors than BIAB or 3V. For my local water adding a handful or two of acidulated malt made a bigger difference to efficiency than anything other change I made to process.

If you are interested in learning more about the brewing process and the interaction of factors that result in good beer your beer will get better regardless of how you make it.

Latest posts

Back