BIAB newbie - temp measuring question.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwifirst

Reaction score
Having run out quite a lot of AG in my chilly bin ( currently in NZ for hols) I tried my first boil in a bag. It was kind of a disaster due to my inability to work out where I should be measuring temperature from.

So my question is; where is the best place to take a temp measure from? I have a wire connected to a control box and was thinking that the best place is smack in the middle of the grain. Originally I had it down the side and I think that the side of the pot was affecting the temp, causing me to panic and make changes.

Cheers

You would probably need to post a pick of Ur set up so the experts can tell u where

i've wondered this too. i ended up putting a thermometer on the side of my 38L pot and it's about 10-15cm up from the base. i'm sure the bag is pushed up against it when it's in there. additionally, my thermometer seems to drop in temp by about 1C every 10 mins or so, but then when lifting the bag up, i've noticed it raises back to the right temp. after doing multiple brews, i've found that i lose 1C every 45ish mins so i only increase my temp at this point back to the right mash temp. but it's kind of annoying, not much i can do i don't think

Basically I have a 40cm pot and my bag. I put a trivet at the base of the pot to support the bag and put in my 4kg of grain and that was that. I am thinking that probably the best place to measure the temp is going to be in the middle of the grain bed.

Back