Biab Multi-step-lager Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjornJ

Reaction score
My first attempt at multi-step mashing regime after reading Zwickel's article; http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/blog...hp?showentry=15

10% Munich II
90% Ale Malt
25 IBU @60 min Northern Brewer
10 IBU @60 min Saaz

Or to be more precise, the last couple of times I've tried making lagers I've followed ThirstyBoy's 5 min at 55 and 85 at main mash temp (1 degree higher than if not using the 55 degree stop).
This time I wanted to take it even further, after reading Zwickel's article on comparing single infusion lager vs. multi-step "German Style".
Now I don't have a braumaster, but I figure the trusty urn can do another stop on the way :D

The plan:
52 degrees, 20 min
63 degrees, 45 min
72 degrees, 30 min
78 degrees, 5 min

Mashed in 35 litres of water, gave it a good stir and wrapped it up.
Ramped to 63 degrees, took 18 min, stirring constantly.
That's a loong time to stir, by the way!

Now it's half-way through the 63 degree stop, another 20 min and it's back to stirring :)

My last lager "TB Lager III" was OG 1.044 and FG 1.014 so thought I could try this to get FG a bit lower.
Does seem to be a lot of stirring though, so we'll see if I keep doing it.

Any others who do this with BIAB, or is this more a 3-vessel kind of thing?

thanks
Bjorn

While I am 3 V, it makes sense to me that any mash tun can be made capable of doing this. The fact that your mash tun might also be your kettle is neither here nor there in your process.

I'm a big fan of this kind of step mashing and rarely do single infusion mashes now.

thanks Manticle,
I am looking forward to seeing if I can notice a difference in the end product.

What are your experiences around this vs the "an-hour-at-66" kind of thing?

thanks
Bjorn

I step mash most beers at low end 60s then high end 60s. Mostly 10 mins around 63, followed by 40-50 mins at 67-68, then 10 mins at 72.

I alter that depending on the beer (sometimes longer at low end, shorter at high).

What I find is a beer that attenuates very well and has a dry finish but that still has a rich, full mouthfeel.

55 rest and 72 rest also give me a lovely, rocky head and a very clear unfined beer at drinking temps (I still get chill haze as I ferment on my cold break but rarely drink anything cold enough for it to be an issue).

Hi BjornJ,

Id have some questions:

What is your grainbill? I mean in kg, not in percent and what is the grain/water ratio at mash in?
How much water do you have planned for sparging?

btw. Im also at brewing right now, the same mash regime as you do.

good luck with the brew.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

I've only done one BIAB. That was a 100% wheat multi-step which I mixed. I don't recommend mixing in a bag as it tends to block all the holes and prevent drainage.
I hate BIAB. :D

At what point would the time taken to ramp to the next rest become to long to be worthwhile, or would it not matter exposing the grain to a large variance of temperatures for long periods between rests?

ooups, didn't pay attention and stirred for a good 15 min before checking temp.
It was at 75 degrees..
Wrapped it up again, and will leave it for 30 min.
Aargh, my first attempt at this and already screwed it up :rolleyes:

Zwickel,
hey was reading your article again yesterday and wanted to try.
Guess I should have practised before posting, if I'd known you would pop by!

I have 5 kg of Joe White Traditional Ale malt (5.9 EBC) , did not have any more pilsner malt.
And 0.5 kg of Joe White Munich II (25 EBC)
Assuming 66% efficiency, that's what I got last time with the 5 min at 55 and 85 at 67 degrees.

Mashing in 35 litres of Sydney Prospect water, using
2.6 gr of Gypsum, 2.2 gr of Epsom and 2.2 gr of CaCl for
Ca 50, Mg 11, Na 14, SO4 75, Cl 57 and HCO3 35 ppm.

Will mash with 3-4 litres, by putting the grain bag in a plastic storage bin.
Open the grain bag and pour in 2 x tea kettles of water at 76-78 degrees.
Give it a stir, leave it for a couple of minutes and drain the bag into the storage bin.
Then pour this into the urn.

thanks
Bjorn

sorry, the last bit was supposed to say:

"Will sparge with 3-4 litres, by putting the grain bag..."

fridays brew was apa biab

35l at 66c for 75min
Add 10l of 95c water to get to 72c for 15, then lift bag, direct heat to 78c. Might not make a difference, mainly just to see if my biab pulley dodginess would hold while direct heating. it needs more work, had to hold the rope.

Brew before was decoction boh pils, turned out awesome. I decocted at 35, 53, 63, 68, 70, 76. kegged it two weeks ago, its already drunk with the help of non hb visitors.

I like stepping but more intensive, longer brew day. Want a ss coil and brown pump but trying to excert some purchasing self control.

Edit. Didnt stir cause holding the bag and thought it would make heating take longer. Little stir before taking temp to remove hot spots.

sorry, the last bit was supposed to say:

"Will sparge with 3-4 litres, by putting the grain bag..."

Hey BjornJ, you have a grain/water ratio of 1/6.36 (5.5 kg malt to 35l of water), thats quite a lot of water, so I wouldnt sparge at all.

I guess that your OG will be a little bit low, means your going to produce a "thinbeer" ;)

So, you may dispense the sparging.

Good luck

:beer:

At what point would the time taken to ramp to the next rest become to long to be worthwhile, or would it not matter exposing the grain to a large variance of temperatures for long periods between rests?

The enzymes are active outside the normal stated rest temps. What that means is your rest times are effectively longer if taking a long time to raise temp. The main thing is probably just to watch your ph if taking a long time at lower temps.

Recipe was for 25 litres with OG 1.044, ended up with 26 litres at OG 1.044.

Sparge OG was 1.030 so probably worth it, to get more sugar out of the grains.

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon :)

thanks
Bjorn

Back