Biab Materials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all that answered my post and volunteered your knowledge and experience.

Great to see I sparked a short but lively thread :)

I spent an hour or so on Saturday morning sewing a large grain bag and 2 smaller hop bags in readiness to brew however weather, kids, SWMBO and a few other things prevented me from my mission.

I plan to fix this as soon as I can.

What I did notice was that using all cotton did still produce a reasonably strong bag, especially since I doubled it over and did 3 rows of triple stitch down each side. I would have used the overlocker if I coulda worked it out.... but that thing scares me :blink:

As some people posted, if I use the cotton bag for a couple of brews and the durability is not there I can always switch. I really would like to avoid using synthetic fibres in my brewing system, mainly due to personal choice than anything else. After I washed the fabric in napisan and very hot water, I tested the fabric for water permiability etc. It was very good and quite easily absorbed water as well as squeezed quite dry .

I'll see if I can get some shots of the bags before their first use in brewing and then again after a couple of uses for comparison.

Like Pat says... Can't hurt to give it a go.

Thanks for adding that link... I'm also impressed that you slipped in cognitive dissonance...

Glad you enjoyed the link LF. I remember that cognitive dissonance post :). I think a fair bit of it goes on ;).

I'll see if I can get some shots of the bags before their first use in brewing and then again after a couple of uses for comparison.

Hope all goes well Duck and will look forward to hearing the results.

Cheers,
Pat

I was looking for voile at Lincraft today and they only had cotton voile.... I'm only planning to use it for a 19 Lt pot for now but would be interesting if the Duck got back here and told us how his cotton bag faired...

From what I read above, it should at least hold up for a few brews as long as I can keep it clean etc. And I can always go looking for a polyester bag later if this one fails, but why fix something that isn't broke! except that Lincraft didn't bloody have any nylon or polyester voile :( They had some other stretchy polyester stuff that looked a lot stronger but looked like a much denser weave.

So, yeah, I'll umm post again when/if I get to doing a brew with this but appreciate anyone sharing experience about "Cotton Voile" for BIAB.

topical, i too went to lincraft today to try and find poly voile without luck, and the lady tried to give me cotton. i was at spotlight earlier in the day and they had a metric ton of nylon voile, and 1 role of poly which also had a tag saying it was nylon... i didn't bother asking for help because i figured spotlight is the bunnings of the fabric world... tomorrow i will be going back to spotlight with my tail between my legs and getting the poly/nylon/? stuff since lincraft was worse :rolleyes:

Back