Biab Keggle build advice wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidute

Reaction score
Im a reasonable way into the build and the time has come to drill a hole for the ball valve.

How low in the keg should i drill this hole?

I placed mine to ensure 6L of kettle loss to trub, by dumping in 6L of water and marking the water line - that's where I installed the outlet valve. You may not want that amount of kettle loss, I did so because I had kettle capacity to spare and I often do large & hoppy double batches where I aim to leave a significant amount of hop matter in the kettle. Works well, I let the kettle sit for 30min after pulling out the IC to settle out. Runs almost completely clear into my fermenters.

I drilled right above the bottom weld, then used an elbow to get down lower.

Quick question

Are kegs coated in some nasty stuff?

Set the burner going to boil water for a test and it smells like paint burning. Shut it off and left it.

Anything to be concerned about or should it be cleaned first?

When building mine the keg had a coat of silver/grey paint on the bottom, could also put it down to a build up of grime or dried detergent of sorts perhaps from cleaning before refilling in the brewery, or cleaners of the floor in pubs it’s been sent to.

Latest posts

Back