Biab:getting The Wort Out Of A Hanging Bag.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing some experiments lately and i've found that pulling the bag out of the wort and letting it hang above the kettle to drain (ie no sparge or squeeze) gives me a 2% drop in efficiency, which equates to 120g of grain.

So the easiest way to get all that wort out imo would be to install a skyhook and pulley. Just pull the bag via the pulley and start the boil, the wort will eventually drain out.

I will second that the craftbrewer bags drain slower than the spotlight bags, but they are still great value for money.

I've only ever seen 100% polyester swiss voile from spotlight. but my bags behave like the OPs.

Is it possible that there are batch to batch variations on even swiss voile from spotlight? It certainly looks like a very very wine weave.

I've experimented with mill gaps, and I found that at 0.5mm I have severe issues draining the bag, but at 0.6mm the problems largely go away. I suspect the additional flour is clogging the gaps

There is nylon voile & polyester voile. The nylon is courser and stronger, but has larger holes, but apparently melts at lower times (so far no problems) I have a outer nylon bag which I use for lifting and its great for double or even triple batches, but then I have a second bag inside which is polyester, so its better for straining the wort. This has worked really well, but only came about because I screwed up when sewing the initial polyester bag and went to a different store that sold me the nylon version.

I've never noticed any pooling about the fine inner bag though

Back