Biab Brewer Register

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pistol Patch............. 36..............Yes............................ 990lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 42..............Yes.......................... 1067lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 38 ............Yes!.......................... 562lt Mixed methods.
Hashie......................17.............Yes.............. ............ 388lt No chill
MaxT........................5...............No............................. 11lt
PJ............................1............... Will be........................ 23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......21..............Yes........................... 475L No Chill
Thirstyboy............... 11..............Yes......................... app 130L Mixed methods
Wardhog..................1.................?............................... 23lt
Phonos....................4.................Yes............................ 88lt Partial
Beer Man.................15...............Yes.......................... 375lt no chill, no problems
DK..........................10...............Yes.........................app 20lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2.................No............................. 46lt
Blackbock................6.................No............................ 180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7.................No............................ 16lt No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6.................Yes.......................... 175lt No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6..................No...........................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy.....................18................yes............................ 473litres no chillin!
Murcluf....................1.................Will be........................ 11lt
Patobeermonster......9.................yes............................ 165lt
Harry_Rmbler..........7..................yes............................ 245lt
MVZOOM.................5..................yep............................ 120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................4...................YES............................ 92 N.C. for me
joecast....................4..................yup............................. 80lt
black forest man......2..................yes............................. 40lt
Rod.........................2.................yes............................. ??????
Malty Cultural..........5..................kinda-sorta.................. 75lt
W_W_W_Hahn.........2..................Yes............................ 23lt Electric
kevnlis....................6..................yes...................... 140L No Chill
hairofthedog..........10...................yes..............................200
SDJ........................1...................yes.......................20lt BIAB no chill
amita.............. .......1...................yes..............................23lt
wally.......................1...................yes.............................
3lt
sathid....................1....................yes............................ 23L
65bellett.................1....................yes..........................37.5

Katie&Lloyd.....................4.............yes.........................138l

No looking back now. Over the next month I need to buy some equipment move out of the kitchen and into the backyard for some full size batches.

65bellet - mate, you have 1 brew for 37.5L and you need to change locations to brew "full size" batches. Jeezus, how big a batch are you planning to do :D

65bellet - mate, you have 1 brew for 37.5L and you need to change locations to brew "full size" batches. Jeezus, how big a batch are you planning to do :D

Pistol Patch............. 36..............Yes............................ 990lt Changed to BIAB
SpillsMostOfIt........... 38 ............Yes!.......................... 562lt Mixed methods.
Hashie......................17.............Yes.............. ............ 388lt No chill
MaxT........................5...............No............................. 11lt
PJ............................1............... Will be........................ 23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......21..............Yes........................... 475L No Chill
Thirstyboy............... 11..............Yes......................... app 130L Mixed methods
Wardhog..................1.................?............................... 23lt
Phonos....................4.................Yes............................ 88lt Partial
Beer Man.................15...............Yes.......................... 375lt no chill, no problems
DK..........................10...............Yes.........................app 20lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2.................No............................. 46lt
Blackbock................6.................No............................ 180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7.................No............................ 16lt No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6.................Yes.......................... 175lt No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6..................No...........................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy.....................18................yes............................ 473litres no chillin!
Murcluf....................1.................Will be........................ 11lt
MVZOOM.................5..................yep............................ 120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................4...................YES............................ 92 N.C. for me
joecast....................4..................yup............................. 80lt
Rod.........................2.................yes............................. ??????
W_W_W_Hahn.........2..................Yes............................ 23lt Electric
kevnlis....................6..................yes...................... 140L No Chill
SDJ........................1...................yes.......................20lt BIAB no chill
amita.............. .......1...................yes..............................23lt
wally.......................1...................yes.............................
3lt
sathid....................1....................yes............................ 23L
65bellett.................3....................yes..........................37.5

Katie&Lloyd.....................4.............yes.........................138

That's better, 3 half batches equals 37.5 litres. See what happens when you start drinking a hefty old IPA at five in the morning after 7 days straight on night shift.

Roast up a couple of small ones and "dry root" it.... that'll make it turn purple just from embarrassment :p

I thought about that. I also considered making some beetroot extract to do the same thing because I don't want any raw beetroot flavours in there. I guess that I could dry-hop at the same time as I dry-root it to perhaps mask any errant vegetable overtones.

No vegetable goes into my beer without getting roasted first - I figure the caramelisation that happens in the oven kinda helps with the raw veg flavours and perhaps kills off any nasties that live (or hopefully *lived*) in the veg.

Malty Cultural..........6..................yes............................ 95lt
lt
65bellett.................3....................yes..........................37.5

20 litres of SJW's JSGA 'clone' bloop-blooping away.

I tried a few things differently this time. I page or two back, I mentioned that I had been using a 'dunk-sparging' technique. Using this method, I mashed in my bag in an esky with a traditional 3:1 L:G ratio, then lifted my bag into a kettle containing my pre-heated sparge volume.

Using this method increased my efficiency quite dramatically fro 64 to 74%. However, my general brewing technique has been improving, so last night I did a pure BIAB to see how I would go. I hit 72% last night and I'm confident that I can nudge that a little higher with each brew. So, it would appear that my increased experience, rather than a different technique, is responsible for the better results which I have been enjoying recently.

Just for something different, I also made some insulation for my kettle from a camping mat to see if I could avoid adding heat through the mash. I lost 3 degrees over 60 minutes, compared to 2 degrees when I have mashed in an esky.

I hit 72% last night and I'm confident that I can nudge that a little higher with each brew. So, it would appear that my increased experience, rather than a different technique, is responsible for the better results which I have been enjoying recently.

Lots of people would/will/have disagree(d), but I reckon that the buffered pH solution 5point2 will give you another couple of percent without having to do much at all.

Lots of people would/will/have disagree(d), but I reckon that the buffered pH solution 5point2 will give you another couple of percent without having to do much at all.

I'll give it a try. I'm also going to swap my cheap and nasty mash paddle for a paint stirrer or potato masher to try to give me a more vertical stirring motion during the mash.

Eric8......................5...................yes............................ 125 N.C. for me
lt

Half way through the boil for 100% wheat with mittlefreuh plugs, mmmmmm smells good.
Finally cracked the 100 litres as well, woohoo.
:icon_cheers:
Eric

I wasn't going to, but I might just have the one as a sort of virtual celebration of your achievement... :D

Spills,
If you do then I will too. Also just put my new Font into the freezer, might have to have two now :p

Eric

Thirstyboy............... 12..............Yes......................... app 143L Mixed methods
Eric8......................5...................yes............................ 125 N.C. for me
t

A 13L batch of a nice copper coloured best bitter

SpillsMostOfIt........... 39 ............Yes!.......................... 608lt Mixed methods.
Thirstyboy............... 12..............Yes......................... app 143L Mixed methods
t

46litres of Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter (no bourbon, vanilla or Conns yet). 16kg grain successfully mashed and DunkSparged(tm) in one swiss voile baggie - I claim a new world record!

46litres of Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter (no bourbon, vanilla or Conns yet). 16kg grain successfully mashed and DunkSparged(tm) in one swiss voile baggie - I claim a new world record!
Nice! If that is the same one Doc made, it will be fantastic.

your a machine spillsy.
He certainly is, wish I could do as much as you do.

Pistol Patch............. 36..............Yes............................ 944lt Changed to BIAB
SpillsMostOfIt........... 36 ............Yes!.......................... 510lt Mixed methods.
jimmysuperlative......18+............Yes.........................officially lost count
Kingy.....................15................yes............................ 405 litres no chillin!
joecast....................5..................yup............................. 98lt

batch #5 is a kolsch. hopefully a nice easy drinker that the wife will find acceptable.
next batch will crack the 100lt mark!! woo-hoo!

SpillsMostOfIt........... 39 ............Yes!.......................... 608lt Mixed methods.
joecast....................5..................yup............................. 98lt
t

Just fixing this up for you Joecast, you used an old list.
Eric

your a machine spillsy.
It's all in the name of science and, I believe, an important community service that I am pleased to perform... <_<

Nice! If that is the same one Doc made, it will be fantastic.
I made a bastardised version a while ago, but an oatmeal addition I made didn't quite work too well. Then we dropped into Goolwa whilst driving around and tasted their 'Black Velvet' which is a direct copy, I believe. I was sold and used it as an introductory batch for someone who expressed an interest in BIAB. He will probably be pitching today, but I want to give my latest batch of mead a few more days in the Fermentation Facility before starting this one off...

I made a bastardised version a while ago, but an oatmeal addition I made didn't quite work too well. Then we dropped into Goolwa whilst driving around and tasted their 'Black Velvet' which is a direct copy, I believe. I was sold and used it as an introductory batch for someone who expressed an interest in BIAB. He will probably be pitching today, but I want to give my latest batch of mead a few more days in the Fermentation Facility before starting this one off...
I think the one Doc made he had kegged for a year? He then made the Vanilla Bourbon and poured it in the keg. We had it last Sunday, and it was oohhhh sooo nice :wub: .

Kingy.....................21................yes............................ 566litres no chillin!
t

Double batch of wheat for the cubes for when stocks get low and 2 single batches of my house pilsner.
Need to get a tap on my boiler as im so over suck and siphon method <_< its dangerous. Need to get off my ass and look harder for a tap from somewhere.

Need to get off my ass and look harder for a tap from somewhere.

I bought all my tap stuff (except the barbed tail and the silicon washer) from a big green hardware barn - I think it cost me about $25 all up per boiler.

Back