Biab Bag Material

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endo

Reaction score
Reading through a fair bit of the forum the consensus is to use poly voile..

So armed with a photo of one of the posts with the spotlight product code etc.. I hightailed it to spotlight...Asked the bird at the counter.. Supposedly its discontinued...

So did a bit more searching and ended up going to Lindcraft....They dont stock it anymore...

So.... What are my alternatives? I dont really want to fork out a small fortune to buy one ready made.

Are there other materials that are suitable? They had cotton on special at lindcraft...

Don't know if poly voile is the same as swiss voile, but i believe thats what most of them are (swiss voile). When i was looking for some i didnt have any trouble- first shop i went to had it, and that was just a little fabric shop. I just got a square piece and swmbo sewed it up for me.

For the time you've spent driving around trying to find some material, it's probably cost you more than the $19.95 to purchase a commercially made one.

cheers Ross

Ross, would yours comfortably suit a 50l pot?

There are some good commercial products available ... for that size pot it seriously isn't worth the effort of finding enough length and trying to sow it all up yourself.

The ones with strong sewn in tabs on the rim are excellent and easy to use.

If i were starting out in BIAB i'd be purchasing one of the sponsor's bags for sure... at $20 or so it's not worth the effort to run round trying to make up a bespoke one.

In saying that... if your settled on making up one for yourself, the girls at Spotlight and Lindcraft aren't being too helpful. "poly voile" may be discontinued, but there are heaps of options there to chose from, just they may not be specifically called what you're asking for. Go in again and get pointed to the curtain lining section. Pretty much all of it is polyester voile with all different weaves. Just chose the one you prefer... the one with little pink embroided hearts are best for IPAs
:ph34r:

Spillsmostofit discovered that in Lincraft they call an almost identical product "Suva Voil"

Ignore the assistants - walk straight to the curtain fabric section and start looking at the sheers. I have no idea what the product i bought is called. I simply went in and within about 2 minutes had found a product which matched the dozens of descriptions of swiss voil that you can find on this site - took it to the counter and asked for a couple of meters.

Ross, would yours comfortably suit a 50l pot?
I have one, and yes it does. I'd say its designed precisely for that reason. I use it easily in my 40l crown urn, but i just plonked it a 50lt keg and its a perfect fit

Cheers
Matt

I have one, and yes it does. I'd say its designed precisely for that reason. I use it easily in my 40l crown urn, but i just plonked it a 50lt keg and its a perfect fit

Cheers
Matt
For 20 bucks how can u go wrong??? If biab is ur thing its a def winner

How do reckon two of the craftbrewer bags would go in a pot that is 520mm across and 580mm deep (140L)? I was going to make two bags but seeing how the 'big dog' is going to be the last kettle i will buy i think i should get something well built, plus at $40, how could i go wrong. But i only want to get it if it will fit.

How do reckon two of the craftbrewer bags would go in a pot that is 520mm across and 580mm deep (140L)? I was going to make two bags but seeing how the 'big dog' is going to be the last kettle i will buy i think i should get something well built, plus at $40, how could i go wrong. But i only want to get it if it will fit.
A keg is thereabouts 370 wide and 420 deep. I think it'd be a squeeze, but maybe. Personally i wouldnt go for it, but that by all means that doesnt mean it 'wont work'.

Matt

Given that it seems obvious that Ross has arranged manufacture of the BIAB bags - perhaps you could consult with him about having a custom bag made. I suspect it would cost you more than the $40 - but then again it might be well worth it to have something specifically designed for your purposes.

thanks thirsty. Having one well built bag in the 140 that could handle the weight would be the tits. I just pm'd him.

If he can't do it i might get three bags, they're pretty cheap. this would work well because it would have the bag 'liftability' of a single batch system, with the awesomeness of a 100L batch.

why not muslin its a loosely-woven cotton..

Du,

The main reason people don't use it is the life span and ability to obsorb flavours,colours etc. It also comes in many different sizes, if you don't have the specs right you could end up with grain in your brew or a big drop in efficiency, however there are a few brewers that do exactly that, maybe they could shed some light on the issues.

thanks bob..i got the mr's to make one for a brew i did ,but i binned it after use to save contamination.might invest in one of those commerical one's

Back